Status
Not open for further replies.

swordsinfo

Hi this is my first post on this site so howde all.

I have recently setup a new site and I'm not 100% sure of it to be honest only recently switrched to tableless design so I need to tweak it a fair but but am really interested in what you have to say.

Karl Herbert Professional Golf Instructor

Any comments or queries I would happly take on - the more im critizied the more I can improve.... i think :eek:

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
badly broken bottom in FF3 ... will review when its fixed up

n3tFl0w

Nice design. Clean and simple. Good use of imagery...

However. It doesn't render very well in firefox3 on OSX.

Check out Test your web design in different browsers - Browsershots so that you can see how its going to look in the most common browsers. very handy.

Look at your image sizing and the positioning of items near the bottom cos that's the worst of it.

The demographic for that site should be easy enough to please though so I reckon your on to a winner.

swordsinfo

karl herbert site

Thanks for the comments - i was more worried about the look rather than the rendering - silly misstake seen as the both are related - I have made some ammendments to the style sheet so should layout correctly. padding with absolute widths was causeing the problem but one of the lads from baords.ie mentioned that nested divs and setting overflow to hidden would resolve this. What does the overflow achieve ??

Karl Herbert Professional Golf Instructor

Anyhow really appreciate the comments all very constructive and very helpful!

THanks

n3tFl0w

Much better - Don't like the bit in the middle column though - The laptop picture? Looks out of place. But nice look overall.

swordsinfo

what would you think as a replacement - just a brighter pic or something completely different

just didnt want long reams of text and thought the image broke it up nicely

n3tFl0w

what would you think as a replacement - just a brighter pic or something completely different

just didnt want long reams of text and thought the image broke it up nicely

Don't quite know - it just doesn't look right - Though I think that might be mostly because the length of that column is different from the others. Wait until a few others comment on it to see what the consensus is.

Forbairt

My thoughts ...

the top bit down to the 3 columns ... feels wrong ...

one bit is right aligned ...

the other text is left aligned...

you've got centered text on the top ... and the picture with the golf ball has text over on the right ...

basically it doesn't add up for me

laptop image is REALLY out of place ... not to mention the black bottom .. and way that column is risen...

I don't like your logo there as well ... a small note in the footer in my opinion is better ... its not a site advertising you ...

Its all also one page ?

Don't know about that ...

Just my few thoughts on it

swordsinfo

agreed at the top

not sure if I even need the text over the ball might scrap it but the client like it there so kind of caught out.

The client asked for it all on one page - wouldnt be my recommendation obviously but have to do what the client wants . Re the laptop image what would you use as a replacement - its suppose to represent online contact so computeruser/interuser is the way I thought to go. As i have used images on the banners on top figured i need to continue this trend on the bottom! I'll have a peak about and see if I can find a cleaner image

The logo makes no odds either way if the client doesnt mind I shouldnt either but take your point - will test it against w3c to make sure all is compliant -

Any other thoughts?

beachboy19

Is it just one page?

:confused: Is it just one page with no links? If it is it would be best if the text did not look like it is clickable. Great for one page, or broken if it is not.

swordsinfo

thanks for the replys - the client asked for a one page of info but also a contact us page?

not completely sure what you mean by broken if it is not ?

I replaced the laptop pic as noone seemed to like it bar the client so will try and taylor what ever else I can
Thanks
B

Forbairt

thanks for the replys - the client asked for a one page of info but also a contact us page?

not completely sure what you mean by broken if it is not ?

I replaced the laptop pic as noone seemed to like it bar the client so will try and taylor what ever else I can
Thanks
B

I think he's referring to the _ on the right hand side on the main page ...

Also on the contact page the lack of anything with the three images on the bottom ... lack of clicking .. lack of information is misleading.

Edit: I'd be inclined to think a hotel lobby / receptionist type image would be good ...

swordsinfo

aye they really arent required at all - origionall I had the 3 columns on this page too. Will tidy it off with some linker back to the main page

reception image sounds like a good idea - i'll have a browse about and see what I have

Thanks
B

beachboy19

why it looks broken

Parts of the page look like they are clickable, like that are links. On the top the address area looks like a Nav bar. Other area also look clickable too. If it is just one page it would help if that was some how clear. :)

ButtermilkJack

Nice design, but...

I just spent the first few seconds trying to click on something... anything... before realising there's nothing to click, nowhere to go?

I realise the client asked for it all on one page but they are paying you for your design skills/experience so you should tell them that in the interests of design and usability, the info should be split up over a few pages.

IMO, there's just too much going on for a homepage.

Did you do www.kinsealy-grange.com as well?

swordsinfo

thanks again

Re the main address bar this was mentioned to me previously also is it the " | " that is making it sub nav like?

I realise that the customer is relying on my skill set but you also have to take the view of the client and the requirement they specify. you dont go in to buy a vw golf and come out with a db9 just because its a better car (if ya know what I mean)

I think if you go in non technically 3 bars boom you can see the times you can see the prices you can see the contact details - done!

once again appreciate the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.