Small ad-dependent ePublisher: can you make a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wokemedia MD

Hi there. I'm one of two partners in a potential mid-2009 web-based start-up. Basically I've joined in the hope of gaining some 'local knowledge' that may well determine the feasibility or otherwise of our fledgling online venture.
While the concept, design and editorial expertise are in place, the e-business aspect is pretty daunting. As a starting point, and as a novice 'webmaster' (if that's not an oxymoron I don't know what is!), I'm basically wondering whether this is worth pursuing if advertising is the primary, and initially only, source of revenue. I'm told the likes of Adsense etc are pretty paltry payers and the sort of CPM figures quoted by the likes of salesonline.ie for display advertisers don't exactly inspire confidence.
Any advice from your more informed members, be it positive or negative, would be much appreciated.

hughdurkin

Hey,

Really depends on lots of things including:

• Which vertical you're going for
  • Frequency / quality of content
  • If this is going to kick off as a spare/part time effort or you're going to lash into it full time from the get-go
  • Your previous experience, to include SEO / online marketing experience
H

Wokemedia MD

Further info

Thanks for getting back to me Hugh,

If you're not too busy (and without sounding like I'm blagging free advice) you might send me your email address to wokemedia@gmail.com and I'll outline the gist of our concept. Given my present employment (and my company's webmaster's possible usage of this forum) it's a bit sensitive to discuss as a post online.

Cheers

Wokemedia MD

andywozhere

I'd say you either have of eyeballs on your site or have a very lucrative niche market. It is certainly is unlikely you will be able to cover your costs initially so you'll need a medium to long-term plan... that is what I probably should have done (but didn't).

caminowebmaster

I'm basically wondering whether this is worth pursuing if advertising is the primary, and initially only, source of revenue. I'm told the likes of Adsense etc are pretty paltry payers

Advertising is how many (most) online make a living - my thoughts are it is dependant on niche and traffic.

I do reasonable from Adsense - always want more, but it pays fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.