Sole trader registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you are trading as yourself ie. your given name you only have to worry about tax etc.,

I'd strongly recommend you take an accountant out for a few beers :)

TheMenace

I can do that. My flatmate's a qualfied accountant as are quite a few of my mates so I'm in a good position there! Cheers.

hosting365

You need to register for VAT if you get over certain limits (25k euro methinks), otherwise, it's best to keep a seperate 'business' bank account, even as a sole trader, otherwise the accounts can get very messy very fast. Keep receipts, etc, for business expenses and such also.

If you want to trade under a name other than your own name, registering a business name at Companies Registration Office will cost you thirty euro, otherwise, registering a limited company is the best route - it gives you excellent protection, but also comes with a little more work (and annual accountancy costs).

TheMenace

You need to register for VAT if you get over certain limits (25k euro methinks), otherwise, it's best to keep a seperate 'business' bank account, even as a sole trader, otherwise the accounts can get very messy very fast. Keep receipts, etc, for business expenses and such also.

If you want to trade under a name other than your own name, registering a business name at Companies Registration Office will cost you thirty euro, otherwise, registering a limited company is the best route - it gives you excellent protection, but also comes with a little more work (and annual accountancy costs).

Thanks for the info. As it happens I've already got a Ltd company registered for other purposes so I've been through that whole rigmarole before; I was just unsure as to the specific of how much red tape was involved in setting up as a sole trader. If I only need to register for VAT, then that's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.