some dedicated server advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusmeig

Hi there,

As you know, Hosting365 had another major outage this week, with some of their chillers failing forcing many machines to be turned off. As long as I have worked with them I can remember 3 complete outages for more than an hour......

So its time to look into moving our dedicated hosting needs to a new host! Now I've been looking into two hosts at the moment, and im just wondering if anyone has had good/bad experience with them in relation to dedicated hosting?

Digiweb + Black Knight

Also I plan to try and save a few pennies on our monthly bill by moving our websites and databases on to one deicated server, and im just wondering if anyone with more server know how would have any advice. We plan to run:

IIS (About 20 low traffic sites)
Mssql (1 or 2 huge databases, used daily)
Mysql (About 20 databases, all no bigger than 20-30mb)

Would their be an issue putting the above on the same machine (2 DB servers?)

The Machine spec is below:

Intel Xeon Quad Core CPU
4Gb Ram
3 x 146Gb SAS Hard Disks
with Raid 5
500Gb data transfer
1 x network connection
burstable to 100Mbps
Ping Monitoring
100% power SLA
100% Network SLA

Thanks in advance!

davidbehan

I think I was in the same situation with you. I got a dedicated windows server off Blacknight last year and it's been running great. I'm actually running mssql and mysql on the same machine and it's running fine.

If I notice any slow down, I'll be looking at moving the databases to their own server but for now, all is good.

Give Blacknight a shout - they'll do you a good deal!

Rgds, Dave

tomed

I too use Blacknight and have never had any problems with downtime etc.

I don't have mssql on the machine, but mysql running a lot of db heavy websites with no issues. If it gets slow, I will be contemplating doing similar to what Dave is doing!

Tom

jusmeig

Has anyone been out to the Black Knight data centre?
Are their "Chillers" cold enough!!!

thanks for the help.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Since you're asking specifically ...

We (Blacknight) use two data centres in the Dublin area, namely Interxion and Data Electronics.

If you've been dealing with our sales team they can arrange a visit for you

Gavin

Has anyone been out to the Black Knight data centre?
Are their "Chillers" cold enough!!!

I've been in Data Electronics a few times and I can assure you that its a top of the range Data Centre and I am more than happy it.

hosting365

Hi Justmeig,

No excuses, but to put it in context, three outages in 3 years is a pretty good track record.

Check the status blogs of anyone you are looking at for issues also.

We also maintain colocation in Interxion and Data Electronics and can move your server if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.