Spam Fighting (VBulletin)

Discussion in 'Webmaster Discussion' started by Cormac, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Cormac

Cormac New Member

I have noticed a lot of new spam members on one of my vb forums so i decided to look up some spam prevention methods

Akismet Anti-Spam - vBulletin.org Forum

SpamBuster v1.0.0 (Stable): Identify, log and remove spam posts on your forum - vBulletin.org Forum

I'm going to install this one ^ now.

I saw a modification before which replaces the captcha with a simple math question like 'what is 7 - 2'. That should prevent intelligent captcha reading bots from registering.

2. mneylon

mneylon Administrator Staff Member

3. Cormac

Cormac New Member

That's the one.
    Available on 3.6....i must upgrade pretty soon.

4. ph3n0m

ph3n0m New Member

sorry to hijack but is there anything similiar out there for phpBB?

5. Cormac

Cormac New Member

6. mneylon

You could probably get bad behavior (sic) to work with both vbulletin and phpbb2 if you did a bit of work (though maybe that's already been done)

Unlike the other suggestions that I've seen bad behavior blocks them before they even get to post anything, as it does it based on UserAgent strings amongst other things...
    I think I'm still using it on my blog...

7. Cormac

Cormac New Member

8. Cormac

Cormac New Member

Michele, what anti-spam are you using on here?
    I'm getting hit very bad lately.

9. mneylon

10. Cormac

Cormac New Member

That's the business!

I had askimet installed as my main anti spam protection. But for ages it wasn't working as well as it did on a old installation of vb. It was only after i installed another mod this morning that i noticed in the permissons for usergroups the following beautiful peice of text:
    Filter Posts With Akismet Yes/No.

I nearly cried :mad:

So what else are you using? I installed the No Spam! mod which replaces the image verficiation with a challange but it didn't work out of the box and i never had the time to revisit it. I'm going to have to in order to solve all this crap.

11. Cormac

Cormac New Member

12. mneylon

If you use SpamHaus-XBL there won't be a huge difference, as it contains CBL and other data