Step by step guide to setting up a VPS

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by DecKen, Oct 11, 2010.

1. DecKen

DecKen New Member

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting VPS hosting from Blacknight. I dont really have any skills with Linux so I would go with a Windows box because I know my way around those systems. Does anyone know a good step by step guide on how to setup a VPS for a small web hosting business.
    I want to run PHP, mySQL and some email hosting system. I can install PHP with IIS and mySQL but what email system should I use (is there an open source system?)

Anyone know if I get a VPS package with Plesk is there an email system installed on the server, I understand with plesk I can manage my server through a webpage but does this also include setting up new email addresses for clients?

2. sposs

sposs New Member

Sounds like you would be better going with a control panel to help you manage the machine , i'd recommend going with virtualmin on a linux machine , or if your budget is abit bigger sticking plesk or cpanel on the machine. It'll make daily simple taks easier than via the command line.
  3. mneylon

mneylon Administrator Staff Member

If you get a VPS with Plesk it will work "out of the box"
  4. DecKen

DecKen New Member

So a VPS with Plesk will have everything on the server already....What email hosting software would be on the server?
  5. mneylon

mneylon Administrator Staff Member

It installs Qmail by default on Linux and MailEnable with Windows.