Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few things I've been thinking about and a few suggestions that other people have made, so I'd like some feedback from people...

LinkedIn Group - someone suggested that we should have a Linkedin group. Does anyone else have an opinion on that?

Classified ads - does the site need a better way of doing them or is the existing system ok? Would an elance / scriptlance type thing work or not? (Just throwing it out there)

Attracting new members - any ideas on this?

Spiralli

The linkedin group could be an interesting experiment, although I wonder if it will dilute the traffic to this forum? I'm not a big fan of social networking, but linkedin has its uses. Would we only allow forum members to join?

I have no opinion on the classifieds, and can think of nothing revolutionary to boost IWF membership. Who knows - perhaps the linkedin group would help...

link8r

Using LinkedIn you could create an Irish Webmasters Group - as an affiliate to the forum .I can't see how it would dilute traffic here - butyou can use LinkedIn to find new members by searching for people who run web companies/web businesses in Ireland - invite them to the group which is linked back here. You can moderate all talks in the group.

Lalaki

A different suggestion away from the discussion at hand.

Under your "Partner Sites" you have sub-forums like "P45rant" etc. A suggestion might be to put a (target="_blank") in each URL because when you click on these, you are taking your audience away from this website in the same browsing window.

People could possibly stay longer on this site if these URLs loaded up in a new window/tab (browser dependent).

Sorry, just an idea to retain people on the site.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
A different suggestion away from the discussion at hand.

Under your "Partner Sites" you have sub-forums like "P45rant" etc. A suggestion might be to put a (target="_blank") in each URL because when you click on these, you are taking your audience away from this website in the same browsing window.

People could possibly stay longer on this site if these URLs loaded up in a new window/tab (browser dependent).

Sorry, just an idea to retain people on the site.
Not a bad idea :)

The links are controlled via Vbulletin, so I'll have to poke at the config to see if I can change the behaviour

Byron

No real suggestion for SN or anything like that, new users

Send out emails to various colleges offering Web / Multimedia courses level 5-8 (including I.T.'S VEC'S Uni's, etc). Set up a new area for learning, maybe with subforums like College life, help with portfolios, etc.

It would get people involved and keep them on the site. You could potentially get 100 pages views per student per day, get advertising for different, higher paying demographics and expand everyones current knowledge of how self taught is soooooo much better than colleges.

But seriously I see a serious lack of people studying web / online technologies on the forum. Even say to colleges that you might get someone to help them with a lecture in the long run or whatever?

Just my two-pence!

learnpipe

re. linkedin - I think that this is a must do. Rather than diluting traffic to this site, it will help to generate new members. A lot of professionals are using linkedin that are probably not aware of irishwbmasterforum. Getting in front of them can only be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.