Tax on Irish websites and webservices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blogger

I have a website that offers free ads and was considering charging a small amount for the ads in the future in order to deter spam adverts. Anyone know of the tax legalities of charging for adverts, say 2 euro per ad i.e. do I have to charge VAT etc.?

Also is there any tax advice available for Irish site owners in general? If a .ie website is registered by registering the company with CRO does that mean that the site becomes a company and must submit tax returns etc. even if it is a non profit website?

Anyone know if Revenue has any specific policies directly related to websites?

Is income from adsense, affiliate programmes etc. on blogs, forums and websites taxable even if it is only a small amount? I assume that all income whether small or not is taxable.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You only need to charge VAT once you hit the threshold. Full details on Revenue Homepage Redirection

I'm not an accountant, however, I've never heard of anyone having to do anything regarding CRO registered businesses UNLESS they had an income

raul

A website cannot be a company but a part of a company.You submit your tax returns regarding your company not for every website / registered business name your company have / operate.

Blogger

You only need to charge VAT once you hit the threshold. Full details on Revenue Homepage Redirection

I'm not an accountant, however, I've never heard of anyone having to do anything regarding CRO registered businesses UNLESS they had an income

But would adsense/affiliate money not be considered an incomen even if it is less than is spent advertising the site on adwords? Anyone ever had to set up a separate bank account for their website in order to track income/expenditure and to keep it separate from personal bank accounts?

The pages that seem to suggest that I need to file a tax return for my website are below: (I left out the www. as I cannot post URLs under current forum rules)...

cro.ie/ena/annual-return-filing.aspx

revenue.ie/en/personal/circumstances/moving/working-self-employed-individual.html

http://www.cro.ie/ena/annual-return-filing.aspx
I had a look at the VAT issue and the threshold according to revenue.ie is as follows: "You must register for VAT if your annual turnover exceeds or is likely to exceed the following annual limits:
  • Currently €75,000 in respect of the supply of goods.
  • Currently €37,500 in respect of the supply of services."

Status
Not open for further replies.