Text Link Ads is Dead - Suggested Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Since TLA is pretty much dead at this stage I've been removing the code from the various sites where I had it enabled, however some of the sites had a respectable income stream for zero effort.
Are there any sane alternatives?

Gavin

I'm poking around for one as well.

I had a great run with TLA while it lasted. As you said, respectable income stream for zero effort.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Do I need to file for reinclusion? As far as I can tell the sites have been hit badly on the PR side, but are still getting SERPS ....

Just wondering ....

RedCardinal

If PR matters to you Michele then file reinclusion requests.

I think the big difference here is that tnx wont be publishing inventory so it wont be as simple for Google to figure out the publishing sites. Even if Google goes undercover and requests some links it'll never scale and Google hates things that dont scale.

That said I wouldn't be using the crown jewels for this... next time Google might come down very hard. Last bruhaha was simply a shot across the bows methinks...

louie

The last shot from Google, in my opinion, was just checking the waters.
I have a feeling is going to come down again next year but a lot worse.

enzo

Since TLA is pretty much dead at this stage...

My attention has been elsewhere for the past few months so can someone explain why is TLA 'dead'?? I continue to get paid by these guys and my Google PR hasn't been affected in any way.

What's the story? Is Google trying to screw people for selling text ads on their site? How concerned should one be?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
enzo - a lot of people's sites lost PR in the last update due to Google cracking down on sites selling TLA. My personal blog went from a PR of 5 to a PR of 3 and quite a few other people were hit quite badly. As a result I've removed TLA from a lot of my sites, though it's hard to remove it from all of them since I still get paid ...

enzo

Thanks, that's what I assumed happened. How do they know if you're with TLA ... by crawling through the list of sites listed on TLA?

gav240z

Text link ads are not dead!

Text link ads are not dead, as Matt Cutts says you can use the rel="nofollow" attribute.

Google is concerned about influencing results artificially, probably because they want people to be using PPC :).

Text links that pass page rank are the ones they are going after. Text links can still provide good traffic to a website, just make sure they are clearly labeled.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Textlinkads is a specific program. The thread was about that program. Not link ads in general

Status
Not open for further replies.