The drive of your life

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdenWeb

Had a PC disaster a few weeks ago that resulted in my main PC being offline for 1 week until I got a replacement BIOS chip. I've been thinking about seriously upgrading my backup infrastructure which at the mo consists of a 500GB external USB drive.

I'm thinking multi-bay eSATA enclosure with hot-swappable drives and NAS would be a bonus. At the mo I've an internal 750GB Seagate Barricuda drive which *will* be hooked up to an eSata with Acronis Ture Image

Has anyone tried this...whats your on and off-line backup solution and have you tried backing up to an FTP server. IE If I bought a server and got the hosting guys to host it etc...

hosting365

I use a Terastation from Buffalo at home - excellent system - 4 SATA drives in Raid 5 giving 1 TB of raw storage in a really reliable format. For crucial stuff, I use an online backup tool from ( Welcome to Ireland's largest Hosting Company - Hosting 365 ) surprisingly enough, that keeps files in sync, encrypts, etc, and is web accessible from anywhere to retrieve files, versions, etc.
Nothing worse than losing data!

hosting365

Well, a couple of critical directories of documents / files / databases. The online backup widget does a nightly incremental with incremental versions for a week, a full backup once a week, and weekly versions going back 3 months.

EdenWeb

Just out of interest - whya re you using a Raid 5 array. Isn't that striped across 5 disks and what happens if one disk goes down?

hosting365

Raid 5 requires 3 or more disks, and allows for the failure of one drive (out of three) without any impact. The more drives, the better the redundancy.

EdenWeb

But they're not 3 mirrored disks. Surely if one disk goes down then a third of your data is missing. I must be missing something here...looking forward to tha 'AHA!' moment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.