Transfering domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully

Evening folks.

I am very much considering moving my domain names from my current registar to another over price. I have done some research and from what I see the cheapest Irish name is about €22 ex. VAT. The provider I am with now is €30 ex. VAT. I have been informed that if I do transfer, I could be forced to pay an additional €30 ex. VAT just for moving providers.

I do feel this is considerably expensive, but worth it in the long run as I will be getting it a cheaper price in the long run.

Comments?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Erm ...

You'll have to pay with the new registrar ... not with the old ... so I don't know where they are getting the 30 from ?

Paying with the new registrar is registering it for another year so not exactly a loss ...

Your old registrar may be charging you to move them but you should be able to instigate a transfer yourself ?

sully

At a guess, I assume they dont do free transfers and charge that amount. I assume this is permitted?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
The domain will become unlocked and available for transfer again when the Transfer Renewal fee is paid by the receiving Reseller.

Seems to do away with the old crowd in the equation ... hmmm I guess though it depends on what kinda TnC you've got with them

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
For IE domains the current provider cannot levy any fee if you want to move them elsewhere

sully

In that case... am I misunderstanding with this company is saying to me?

Unfortunately we cannot lower the prices on our .ie domains. If you wish to renew with another company, you would need to transfer the domain away from X. This can cost up to 29.99 in most cases, which is the cost of a domain renewal for another year.

My understanding of that was, if I moved from X I would be charged at least 29.99. On top of the renewal fee with the new hosting company (which funnily enough, will probably be with yourself Blacknight)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I think you picked up the wrong end of the stick :)

Basically what they're saying is that you need to pay the new provider if you want to move the domain ie. transfer it

sully

Ah okay. So, if I was moving to you, it would cost €21 excl. VAT?

Also, what about domains that are not set to expire for several months?

wheres me jumpa

The transfer includes your reg for the next year I believe (?).

Also, have you researched that the registrar you are transferring to will continue to be price their IE domains at this price?

sully

Just bumping this. Went to register an Irish Domain today, from yourself Michele, for a company and noticed its no longer as cheap as it was a few months ago. Have you raised your prices since slashing them in May? :)

Thanks.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just bumping this. Went to register an Irish Domain today, from yourself Micheal, for a company and noticed its no longer as cheap as it was a few months ago. Have you raised your prices since slashing them in May? :)

Thanks.

We had to raise our prices on IE domains a while back - sorry!

Michele

Status
Not open for further replies.