Status
Not open for further replies.

andywozhere

I'm having a URL conundrum. I was wondering what people thought was a better URL:

/events/comedy/festivals/name-of-festival

or

/events/name-of-festival

The former is more descriptive, but quite long. The latter is much snappier, but not as descriptive. I'm inclined to think the longer URL is probably better (even if it is a bit too long).

painofdeath

The first one says more about where you are on the page. I like them. But only if links are working correctly to it.

jkeyes

What about:

/events/<CATEGORY>/<NAME>

Some examples:

/events/comedy/tedfest
/events/comedy/thecatlaughs
/events/music/electricpicnic
/events/food/tasteofdublin

zxn

I used to make my URLs like the 1st one of your example.
Some of my URLs was more than 100 characters...:smug:

I think, the second method is better for SEO.

tiyerl

The first one is better because you will get some extra points in your search engine ranking for on topic keywords in the URL.

I don't go around memorizing URLs of pages, i just bookmark.

aadijo

In seo when we rewrite the url the main thing which we need to focus is the keyword. but in your question you have the kw in both the url now the second thing play the role is the categories of the kw.Why category ??. this is beau-case category help to promote the site in theme base manner.

So Finally i will go with first url

Beno27

I have always gone for the lowest number of characters possible in a url, just personal preference but I think it helps me to target search terms.

martha

I'm a Newbie, but wouldnt the multi-levelled URL be worse for the search engines to spider those pages and therefore make the pages nearly invisible in any search?

Just a thought!
Best of luck
Martha

Softology

The first one is better in terms of navigation for the site users as they will know exactly where they are and also from SEO side also, your are breaking down your url structure which helps you boost your SERP provided you have used the same words from your URL structure in title, keywords, description and at least a couple of times in the content of that page.

If you want, you can experiment with two sample pages, get them indexed and see which gets more traffic from organic search.

post panguin / panda SEO has changed completly and these small factors add a lot of weight to your On Page SEO.

The choice is yours.

lestforum

I am not sure about the slash character in the URL but I do know how Google treats dash and underscore in the URL.

Words separated with the dash line will be indexed as separate words and in case of underscore line where words will be combine into one word.

/what-is-SEO will be indexed as "what" "is" "SEO"

/what_is_SEO will be indexed as "whatisseo"

heatherIDD

I agree. I like the first one. It is more descriptive and more organized. In this way, users will notice that you might have another category aside from the one being displayed on the URL.

jeffscott

Recommended URL structures shows the hierarchy of the site's pages in which benefits the search engines as well as the users.

lynsofia

URL also is known as (Uniform Resource Locator) that colloquially termed a web address. URL is a reference to a web resource that specifies its location on a computer network and a mechanism for retrieving it. According to Google guidelines first one is more attractive and beneficial in terms as SEO. Because today website makes on EMD (Exact Match Domain) basis, where they focus on their category and keyword clearly navigate for ranking purpose. First URL best, because it has the semantic structure that defines more information about the type of events.

dhararamani

When you are creating URL just simply add your keywords and generate URL. You have to know about URL that it should be SEO friendly. Just keep your URL simple and easy to read. Separate path and Page keywords with hyphens("-")

Here is the list for the SEO friendly URL checker tool
  1. Pepostseo
  2. Seomator
  3. SEO Site Checkup
  4. Site Checker dot pro
  5. SEO Web Page Analyzer
  6. SEO Centro
  7. Power Mapper

Status
Not open for further replies.