vBulletin hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garfieldus

Can anyone recommend, from personal experience with vBulletin, a hosting company they are hosted with, that gives a nice, fast, snappy response in a vBulletin site?

paul

Ninja
More info needed...
How many concurrent users do you have ? Do you need a shared, VPS or dedicated host ? Do you need to have your sever in Ireland.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Any shared hosting plan should suffice to start with. You might outgrow it over time ..

Garfieldus

Any shared hosting plan should suffice to start with. You might outgrow it over time ..

I'm not starting out. The particular board is small and will not increase in size more than 100% ever. We have not outgrown our existing hosting but it's just so slow that we're getting complaints from users and activity has diminished a lot because of it. It is Irish based and we moved to it after hearing good reports that turned out to be completely false. We moved from another Irish host because of the same problem. Both can only offer a vps or dedicated server to solve the problem. Hence my original question in post #1

paul

Ninja
I have a client that has over 1.5 million posts, 21k users, over 200+ users on at anyone stage, and they still can manage on a shared host (despite me recommending them to move to a dedicated box). With vbulletin you have to make sure that threads with over 10k replies are closed, as it tends to cause issues.

Garfieldus

I have a client that has over 1.5 million posts, 21k users, over 200+ users on at anyone stage, and they still can manage on a shared host

Surely that is a recommendation. Who provides the shared hosting? (PM me if necessary please).

With vbulletin you have to make sure that threads with over 10k replies are closed, as it tends to cause issues.

That is not an issue for us.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The other thing with vbulletin you have to watch carefully is the plugins. Some of them produce a LOT of MySQL queries that will slow a site down considerably without providing much benefit

paul

Ninja
Surely that is a recommendation. Who provides the shared hosting? (PM me if necessary please).
I didn't recommend it, but they are happy with their host. I had recommended a dedicated box for their 1.5M+ views a month, but they didn't want to move. They are with hostcolor.com . I myself use a Cloud machine from Blacknight.com Cloud Hosting for my fora and sites.

As Michele says, be careful with plugins !

Garfieldus

I didn't recommend it, but they are happy with their host. I had recommended a dedicated box for their 1.5M+ views a month, but they didn't want to move. They are with hostcolor.com . I myself use a Cloud machine from Blacknight.com Cloud Hosting for my fora and sites.

As Michele says, be careful with plugins !

Interestingly, it's Blacknight we'll be moving away from asap.

M@rc

Can anyone recommend, from personal experience with vBulletin, a hosting company they are hosted with, that gives a nice, fast, snappy response in a vBulletin site?
I've hosted a vBulletin forum with HostGator before.
Was really disappointed with their shared hosting so cross that one off your list if you plan to purchase hosting from 'em. ( slow forum loading.. :/ )

Status
Not open for further replies.