Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdenWeb

I have an invite to the Vista launch in Dublin tonight and was wondering what your thoughts on the new OS are. Will you be upgrading soon or waiting till any early adopter issues are sorted.
Assuming you're a windows man/woman of course.

ziycon

I'll give it a year at min. out in industry before i go near it, let them fix as many bugs as they can first!

daviddoran

I'll hang on to XP for a while and then hopefully switch to Linux fulltime and run Windows virtually for testing.

jmcc

I've four XP home licences here with one XP Pro. I also have a Win2000 installation. (Mostly on dual boot boxes.) I'd tend to be on the more conservative side when it comes to upgrading Microsoft installations. Apart from games, the most important application on here is Excel spreadsheet work. According to some reports, some businesses are still using Office 97 so there is a massive reluctance to change solutions that are working. I 've only bought Office 2003 recently due to some features being unavailable in Office 2000. This don't fix it if it s not broken attitude will be the hardest thing that MSFT will have to overcome with small businesses.

There would have to be a very compelling case for me to upgrade to Vista. As for the reviews by the click and drool merchants in what laughably passes for the Irish tech press, I don't hold these people in high regard when it comes to mission critical decisions. (Must be this flu medication that is making me use these business type words. :) )

And as for the DRM in Vista: I don't think that MSFT is capable of properly implementing a DRM scheme without screwing up massively somewhere. If I want a pretty desktop, I'll use Linux/Gnome. People like me will not be convinced by "technology" journalists who don't know one end of a CPU from the other.

Regards...jmcc

Cormac

DRM is going to destroy Vista. There are soo many secuirty checkpoints in Vista too, it is unreal. You have to provide credentials each time you access the CP for instance (even if logged in as admin).

I'm planning on switching to a MAC in the not too distant future anyway so I don't think I'll bother with Vista.

I was at the offical launch back in Novemeber :confused:
Are they launching it twice? They said they would send out everyone at the seminar a copy of Vista in Feb...

ziycon

I was at the offical launch back in Novemeber :confused:
Are they launching it twice? They said they would send out everyone at the seminar a copy of Vista in Feb...

November was for corporate customers, the launch for everyone else was today.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There was a big promo in downtown Hollywood earlier today, which I didn't go to (I was up in WB)

Personally I can't see a lot of people moving over for a while yet. We still get clients running win 2k and ms sql 2k...

The hardware requirements are going to put a lot of people off as well as memories of previous bad experiences

gary.b

I fiddled about with RC1 - honestly, there's nothing special about it.

It's just like XP Pro but with even more bells & options to turn off.

daviddoran

I really hated that in the Vista ad they compared the "Wow" functionality in Vista to a rocket launch and the Great wall of China.

EdenWeb

Just installed Vista on the new machine.

First reaction was 'holy feck it's beautiful!'
I hav yet to actually use it though

chandu

I would not prefer to upgrade to vista, i'm quite happy with my XP pro right now. I heard that vista makes the system really slow.:rolleyes:

jmcclements

I got it on a new desktop from dell (e520) 1 GB Ram - and it runs fairly well and looks lovely right enough. But there are still numerous software / driver problems with it and has done some really strange things on me like one minute it does pick up thunderbird as the default email client and the next it doesn't!

But on the whole - I am fairly happy with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.