Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbehan

Me again! :D

As most of us designers are usually looking for design inspiration and usually look to other sites for inspiration (tell the truth), I started to collect a database of sites that I like from different feeds from bigger css websites. I wanted a way to be able to quickly browse ones I liked and see what I liked about them and the bigger sites didn't allow that and also had a load of crap in there too.

If you want to have a look and bookmark my list, you can do so here:

Inspiration

Also, if anyone wants the code to run this on their own site (or own personal area) and make their own list, let me know and I'll fire over the code to ya. It's run by Classic ASP with a MSSQL database and a dash of scriptaculous. I've to update it and make it able to upload the screenshots (instead of ftp at the moment) or automatically get it to take snapshots itself and save them to the correct folder. This is how far I got with 2 hours of work!

Anyway, have fun (and in case you're wondering, it doesn't allow you to add your own, even though the option is there, it has an ip check on it so only I can add).

Rgds, Dave

dereko

nice setup, I like alot.. i use delicious to track my 'inspiration'.

Some nice sites out there as well that list some really nicely designed sites like cssmania.com , bestwebgallery.com etc...

davidbehan

I get a lot of my feeds from cssmania.com but I don't like the way the site works for quickly scanning sites. It'd be nice if you could save sites from their list into your own saved area and go back and review it later in a list like on my page. Last time I checked, I couldn't find that feature but maybe they have it now.

jennyrusks

Inspiration

Hi there

Nice list, thanks. I really like the Rick Davidson site (and the work on it), I just came across that one the other day.

I keep most of my "inspiration" sites in my bookmarks but as you can image it's turning into a bit of a monster. I like to print out screen grabs of some of the home pages too. I have folders of print-outs going back to 2000. Some of those sites still look good, believe it or not.

Green seems to be quite popular on websites at the moment, doesn't it?

Jennifer

Digital Design Cottage: Videos Training and Tutorials in Photoshop

davidbehan

That's what I was doing... adding them into my bookmarks. The problem was I couldn't remember which site was which so I'd have to load up 50-100 sites to find the one I want. With this new way, now I can see the screenshots and find the one I want in about 5 seconds.

You're right, green is in at the moment. I wonder what colour will be in for summer? :D

Oh, and that Rick Davidson site is pretty cool I must agree. I love the character on the home page! :D

Dave

davidbehan

Thought I'd bump this post as I've got about 300 sites now and thought I'd let you know about it again!

It's only a personal thing but would you guys use a service that allowed you to create your own inspiration gallery?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Saw your post over on boards regarding your inspire folder. .. thought I'd stalk you back to here :D

I for one ... probably would ... it'd depend if its public or not ...

TAGS would be nice to add ...

Red ... Blue ... business ... and so on ...

At the moment .. I find I take screenshots ... and copy them into a folder ... and browser through it every so often :)

eoghanmccabe

Saw your post over on boards regarding your inspire folder. .. thought I'd stalk you back to here :D

I for one ... probably would ... it'd depend if its public or not ...

TAGS would be nice to add ...

Red ... Blue ... business ... and so on ...

At the moment .. I find I take screenshots ... and copy them into a folder ... and browser through it every so often :)

What's the ... story ... with the ... ellipses?

Status
Not open for further replies.