Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparks

Hi folks. Following on from the Who do you host with? thread, I thought I'd ask a slightly off-topic question from there, hence this thread.

At the moment I manage a site for the olympic target shooting NGB, Target Shooting Ireland. I've been away for 18 months or so though, and in the meantime, the site ran in to diskspace limits, and the lads who were using it made a mess of the database that mambo was running on by accessing it directly.

Here's the thing - the site is no longer big enough for us. I've had to remove the photo gallery entirely to do any work in there at all. We're currently paying a bit over a hundred quid a year for 200Mb diskspace, 6Gb bandwidth per month and the usual cpanel setup. We need a *lot* more diskspace - in the Gb range, at least 1Gb to start with, and increasing later on - as the site has to be a central archive for all photos, most at web quality but a good few at photo quality for the press. It also has to store results, and a dozen other chunks of data. It needs to run email lists and it should be able to handle blogs too. But money is a scant resource for us, we're an amateur sport with volunteers running everything. Our total annual budget is usually around 7 to 10 grand. The website we've had is agreed to have been a success, so we're okay with investing in it, but we need the best value for money we can get!

I've done a lot of linux work over the past decade or so from C to shell to PHP, so I can handle sysadmin and web design and so forth - but I've not had much in the way of exposure to sourcing the actual hosting of the box and so forth, so I thought I'd ask - anyone got any suggestions?

gary.b

We're currently paying a bit over a hundred quid a year for 200Mb diskspace, 6Gb bandwidth per month and the usual cpanel setup.

Honestly - i think that's extortion.
You need a better deal :p

I'm paying €35.28 a year for 400MB, and 14 GB... and another €9 for a domain. I'm with these people

And if you don't mind doing a bit of admin work: you can rent a full server for that kind of money:

https://www.servermatrix.com/index.html?p=home

Status
Not open for further replies.