Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballer.ie

Ok so you set up a nice little website and over the course of a year or two and picture this:

• You have built up its reputation, community and have a decent amount of traffic (say 30K unique/month and growing at 10%)
  • You have quality content and articles
  • You have invested close to a €1,000 over the years on hosting, licenses and other developments costs
  • You are appearing in the top 3 results on google and yahoo for the most of your keywords
  • You are the only site / community of it kind in your country or area
Now it's time to sell some banner add's and recoup some costs. At what value do you set these banners?

Do you leave it up to the google adsense machine or do you approach companies related to your website area and get direct advertising? How many advertisers do you want, for now long?

My situation, the paintball one I have mainly approached businesses and set up direct advertising for a yearly period. The advantage about this is that you are guaranteed some cash to help pay off the costs of running a large website and every body knows where one stands.

However, under value the cost of this banner space and you are effectively loosing money. So they question is, how do you value your banner?

caminowebmaster

I am interested in any answer to that question. I have a couple of sites that fall into the same category.

using adsense it is easy to see the cpm - but I think it would be hard to attract advertisers that would be willing to pay the same cpm.

addoc

i was looking at a webiste that handles banner ads for irish sites. The cpm rates were from €8 - €14 on some sites. This is huge, no? I thought cpm was dead.

I dont know if can I mention the site?

Fintan

My suggestions are:

1) If possible go the affiliate route - some sort of CPA / Rev Share deal. eg paintballers spend a lot of dough on equipment.
2) Selling banner space can be a lot of work, however, if you have a good track record as an affiliate, it will be easy enough and you can also put an accurate valuation on the space.

robototitico

I would like to resurrect this discussion.

I am in a similar situation to the original poster. I have a niche site, and companies asking for banner ad quotes. I too checked Electric Media, and noticed that DoneDeal.ie are charging €8cpm and tv3.ie go up as far as €15cpm.

My first question is: Are companies really paying that amount? It seems like alot to me. According to cubestat.com - Donedeal.ie gets almost 100,000 pageviews per day. That means it would cost 800 euro per day for a large banner on DoneDeal.ie ? Ok perhaps the ad agency is taking a cut, but it would still seem like a lot. Maybe it would only be very large corps spending that amount? Or maybe I am just out of touch with the cost of things?

Secondly: Are there any other webmasters out there currently getting paid for banner ads? If so how much , and what is your industry? How did you value your banner ad?

I receive about 300 uniques per day. 98% of whom would be Irish. They make about 3000 pageviews per day. As I said before my site is a niche demographic - farming.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to resurrect this discussion.

I am in a similar situation to the original poster. I have a niche site, and companies asking for banner ad quotes. I too checked Electric Media, and noticed that DoneDeal.ie are charging €8cpm and tv3.ie go up as far as €15cpm.

My first question is: Are companies really paying that amount? It seems like alot to me. According to cubestat.com - Donedeal.ie gets almost 100,000 pageviews per day. That means it would cost 800 euro per day for a large banner on DoneDeal.ie ? Ok perhaps the ad agency is taking a cut, but it would still seem like a lot. Maybe it would only be very large corps spending that amount? Or maybe I am just out of touch with the cost of things?

Secondly: Are there any other webmasters out there currently getting paid for banner ads? If so how much , and what is your industry? How did you value your banner ad?

I receive about 300 uniques per day. 98% of whom would be Irish. They make about 3000 pageviews per day. As I said before my site is a niche demographic - farming.

Rate cards and reality are usually not the same thing :)

I've bought ads based on impressions and based on time. Personally I prefer based on time, but not all sites will sell on that basis.

How about an actual comparison to Adsense.

Google recently announced the percent paid to publishers was 49%

If you run Adsense for a month, double your received income and you have a fairly reasonable and relatively accurate price to charge clients.

BTW the advertising industry has no fixed prices for advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.