website content

Status
Not open for further replies.

addoc

Hi,
On a social network type site. Who ids resposible for the content. Is it the site or the the user who posts the content. WIth photos,

1. if someone posted a photo that would be categorized as illegal

2. if someone posted a photo that was copyright protected/owned by someine else

3. if someone saw thmeselves in a photo on a webite and had issue with it.

Is the site liable repsonsible in the above scenarios?

appreciate the advice, thanks

Gavin

I'd tend to think the site hosting the content or photos would be responsible or would at least they would help remove any offending content. There again depends on the people behind the site, if they actually care or not.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There again depends on the people behind the site, if they actually care or not.
That's irrelevant

The owner of the website would be considered the publisher and would therefore be liable for the content

addoc

thanks for clearing that up.
Sites must find it very hard to police that, are they in "in trouble" if something unsavory/derogatory/illegal gets posted or are they ok if they are seen to do something about it?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You can't be expected to check each and every post, but you would be expected to maintain a level of reasonable vigilance ....

As long as you act when you get sane requests about legal issues you should be ok ...

Interleado

Unless they have some sort of something in their terms and conditions stating that they are not responsible?

Not a good move though.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Unless they have some sort of something in their terms and conditions stating that they are not responsible?

Not a good move though.
The terms and conditions are irrelevant, as the website owner is still seen to be the publisher as it were

link8r

Have there been any major issues in Ireland before?

I know this is slightly off-topic-but-related:

I thought the High Court told some guy to shut down "Rate-your-solicitor.com" site? It's still running though. I think it's a great idea even though its so wide open to abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.