Website not displaying in IE8

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOH

Doesn't work at all in IE7 - just gives a message box saying it can't be opened, operation aborted.
Have you any IE-specific HTML or javascript?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried validating the HTML to see if there's anything "obvious" that's broken?

FergusM

Sorry for the late reply. I was away last week. I will try that, but would that not also effect other browsers as well.

Regards
Fergus

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the late reply. I was away last week. I will try that, but would that not also effect other browsers as well.

Regards
Fergus
Not necessarily - each browser renders HTML slightly differently and some are more forgiving than others

K

Kieran

It it isn't showing in IE I bet you are losing a ton of traffic. It looks like the Spry CSS and javascript may be reason behind it. I would speak to the person who designed it and get them to spend time debugging this for you.

FergusM

Hi Kieran,

I would say I am losing a big percentage of traffic alright. I can't use the person who originally built the site. That was a very bad experience. For nearly 3 years the site had the same page title on every page with no descriptions. Though this problem may have been caused by ourselves as we started updating the site a few months back.

Regards
Fergus

K

Kieran

I had a look at the site more closely. I loaded the html at locally on my own machine and without the calls to the javascript below it loaded fine. Try and remove these one by one and see how he site loads. I would start with the lightbox script first.

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/prototype.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/scriptaculous.js?load=effects"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/lightbox.js"></script>

FYI - The main page loaded for me on IE8 without the main text which points even more to the code above as this is driving your drop down menus.

If you need any more help just shout. Glad to help.

Kieran

FergusM

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for that. It did fix things, but in doing so we realized how messed up the site was and decided to rebuild from scratch. The new site is up and running with a few things to do. Principally redirects for the pages that do not exit anymore and all the video we have promised. Once again thanks.

Regards
Fergus

K

Kieran

No problem i Like the new look muc more going in the right direction but I am a fan of very clean simple designs so this appeals to me - even the brighter image of the plane is a huge improvement. And you are using a free template which also reduces your costs as well.

Vast improvement

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.