Status
Not open for further replies.

babyboy808

Currently reading:

• Online Marketing Heroes: Interviews with 25 Successful Online Marketing Gurus.
  • What I Learned Before I Sold to Warren Buffett.
  • The Unusually Useful Web Book.
  • From Entrepreneur to Infopreneur.

beachboy19

this is really good

I am reading "Clear Blogging" by Bob Walsh. It has really helped me write better blogs and have some insights into what the value of blogging is to me and everyone else.

F

fantastvik

it has been all work and no play for me since last 3-4 months at present with my work i am reading and enjoying learning PHP 5 by david sklar, before that i had just finished Grishams 'The Appeal'

jmcclements

Apart from work-related stuff.. I'm currently reading yet another Clive Cussler novel as well as Heat by Bill Buford

I HATE Clive Cussler.

I read Valahalla rising once, and swore to never read his stuff again!

(No offence).. :)

NB - currently reading The Blind Watchmaker (Dawkins) and The Thuderbolt Kid (Bryson) - both very good..

writie

I'm working on a (movie) script at the moment, and part of the research - for want of a better word - is to read about DJs. Reading Laurent Garnier's "Electrochoc" provides confirmation that occasionally, truth really is stranger than fiction. As he was there for the Madchester and Acid House scenes, I have to say, you couldn't make a lot of this stuff up.

Michael

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on a (movie) script at the moment, and part of the research - for want of a better word - is to read about DJs. Reading Laurent Garnier's "Electrochoc" provides confirmation that occasionally, truth really is stranger than fiction. As he was there for the Madchester and Acid House scenes, I have to say, you couldn't make a lot of this stuff up.

Michael

How long does it take you to write a script?

writie

Filling pages is fun and easy. Actually writing a script that has some sort of chance of getting through the industrial process of movie development is really, really difficult.

Scripts are rarely finished - there's always some tweaking you can do. At some stage, however, a producer decides to go into production.

The fastest you can do a first draft is about 3 months. I'm on a third draft co-writing with a director and it's been a year so far. But obviously it's not an 8-hour thing as we both have other things to keep us busy.

If it goes over a year, however, either you have major problems with the script or with your motivation!

aarathy

Now i am reading Othello written by William Shakespeare. The work revolves around four central characters: Othello, his wife Desdemona, his lieutenant Cassio, and his ensign Iago. Because of its varied themes — racism, love, jealousy and betrayal - the play remains relevant to the present day, and is still quite popular. I like this very much.

------------------------------
Bindu Jaisankar

jmcc

Rome And Jerusalem - Ancient history. Quite a good book.
Wikinomics - Interesting if a little happy-clappy.
Why Most Things Fail - Ecomomics and very interesting.
Everything You Know About CSS Is Wrong! - Not that I know much to begin with, this is a very interesting Sitepoint book. Covers a lot of stuff on CCS tables and grid design. Bought the PDF because I couldn't wait for the hardcopy.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

How have you found this? Useful? I was thinking about buying it but am going through about 10 other books at the minute so would only buy it if it was brilliant?
Still reading it. If this CSS table stuff works, then it will solve a lot of layout problems. Apparently IE will only handle CSS tables properly from IE8 though. I've only got as far as chapter 3 at the moment but it does explain things well enough for someone with less than elite CCS/HTML skills (me) to understand and use. :) I'll probably post a bit more about it when I finish the book.

Regards...jmcc

n3tFl0w

Still reading it. If this CSS table stuff works, then it will solve a lot of layout problems. Apparently IE will only handle CSS tables properly from IE8 though. I've only got as far as chapter 3 at the moment but it does explain things well enough for someone with less than elite CCS/HTML skills (me) to understand and use. :) I'll probably post a bit more about it when I finish the book.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks for that.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
gonna tag this on here .. hopefully its ok ... anyone a recommendation on a .htaccess / mod rewrite book

I'm finding I'm doing more and more these days but its by trial and error and fiddling more than building up a sound knowledge ... anyone else in the same boat ?

Apart from that still reading a clive cussler book :) haven't had time to read much the last while. Hoping to start a new series soon not sure what though (sci fi .. preferably fantasy)

n3tFl0w

Hoping to start a new series soon not sure what though (sci fi .. preferably fantasy)

Have you read the wheel of time series? If not check them out. Amazing series. Robert Jordan is the author... one of the greatest fantasy writers ever. Though if you do start reading them - take about a month off work! There's alot of reading in the 11... soon to be 12... books.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Have you read the wheel of time series? If not check them out. Amazing series. Robert Jordan is the author... one of the greatest fantasy writers ever. Though if you do start reading them - take about a month off work! There's alot of reading in the 11... soon to be 12... books.

Started WOT back in 97 I think :D

One of the greatest fantasy writers ... who couldn't let the series die so made it drag on and on ... starting prequels before the main series was finished ... and died before the end of it :(

n3tFl0w

Started WOT back in 97 I think :D

One of the greatest fantasy writers ... who couldn't let the series die so made it drag on and on ... starting prequels before the main series was finished ... and died before the end of it :(

I know, I know, it was very sad. And I heard a good while back that Terry Pratchett has something...

Though they are going to get the series finished. The last book is due next year, he apparently dictated alot of it in the end. Very selfless. plus he has some amazing ghost writers I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.