What Coding/Tools to Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webman1

Hi Folks,

Hope you are well.

I'm looking for a bit of Website Database Design Advice (Really what programming code/tools i should be using)

I have the following at work and need to create an interactive Web based system for our engineering department.

SQL Server 2005
Visual Studio 2005

Today, i have downloaded every "Free" E-book i could get my hands on and was amazed at the amount of code required in the ASP/VB.NET examples.

I think the Menace's site Hunt for Property is great and would require similar 4 drop down menus that are linked and will not cause screen to reload/refresh etc.

Example: Engineering > Vessels > Tanks > Stainless Steel

Are the programming/tools i have specified below the ones i should be concentrating on. Am i on the right track?

Visual Studio 2005
VB.Net (Correct Version for web?)
ASP (Which version?)
AJAX (for no screen refreshes etc.?)

I have little coding knowledge but know a bit of html/php etc.

If you could send me in the right track, it would be appreciated.

Tx,
S

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Is this for a public site or an intranet?

TheMenace

sullyman1 with all due respect, a summation of what you're asking seems to be "How do I build a website from the ground up without actually having to learn anything?"

Learning .NET is a long and arduous process and requires a great deal of dedication. If you were amazed by the amount of code/knowledge required from reading the eBook that you have, then be prepared to be shocked and awed by the amount of frustration and patience that you're going to need to a build large, complex working solution!

To be honest, it doesn't really matter what technologies you use. If you wanted to build on the PHP knowledge you have, you could build what you need to build using PHP, MySQL, XML and AJAX. If you really wanted to learn .NET, you could get your head around ASP.NET, MSSQL, XML and AJAX to the same effect. But be prepared to spend some time learning - there's no easy answer.

webman1

Thanks The Menace

I agree with what you're saying and am not afraid to dive in and be prepared to learn. That's the way to do it. Dive in, get stuck, figure that out and continue the process for life :)

Although the missus will probably bawk at me stuck behind the computer yet again :)

webman1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Was just baffled at all the different programming languages out there and wanted to be sure i was concentrating on the correct ones for my project.

TheMenace

Thanks for the replies guys.

Was just baffled at all the different programming languages out there and wanted to be sure i was concentrating on the correct ones for my project.

Well there's no 'correct' languages as such. From what I can gather, without any real knowledge of your project, you're going to need some scripting/server-side development ability, a database and some AJAX'y stuff. So as I said, it doesn't really matter whether you go down the PHP route, the .NET route or the Ruby on Rails route! A lot will depend on your employer's infrastructure and the production environment available to you. Not to mention functionality requirements - sometimes PHP is a better option, sometimes it might be better to go down the agile route with Ruby on Rails. It all depends.

rooneydavid

I agree with the Menace, Scully normally going the .NET route can be more costly then going the PHP route. I worked for a company before and when I started a project was in development (C#.NET), the total cost ran over 100,000 euro and the time it took for release of it was over 18 months. Now if this project was done in PHP or classic ASP the cost would have been less then 100,000 euro and the time to build would have been less then a year.

No matter what language you use, the client doesn't get any of the server site language. But as the Menace said, with out knowing more about the project it is hard to say which language is suited. The company I worked for, C#.net worked for that project but projects later on classic ASP worked.

But I would recommend if you are working with .NET, AJAX & a database look into caching the database results as using AJAX to connect to a db will increase load on the db and server as it will be making a lot of calls back to the server (depending on the # of users) and I am sure a large amount could be cached.

AJAX can always look attractive in a project but you always need to think:
1. what will it do to the server during traffic peaks.
2. is it really needed.

But good luck with the project! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.