What do people think of php BB 3.0 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I know people have had very negative past experience with phpBB 2.0 and spam ... I'm curious if people are liking 3.0 ?

louie

Never used it but from what I have heard is very easy to spam.

louie

don't know about v3.0 but most of the time I go into forum that uses phpbb I get some sort of problem, either too slow, an error, off-line after making a post, etc.

For example : DevNetwork Forums :: Index which I used to be regular but than i lost interest.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I did an install of phpBB 3 a few months back and I was rather impressed ...

phpBB 2 I found to be a spam board I was running a few boards but didn't have the time to monitor them all so I just ended up turning them off ... it wasn't worth the while forking out on vBulletin for any of the sites.

curious to hear some feedback still from anyone who's been using phpBB3 :)

Cormac

I had a phpBB3 forum running for a while. I had no issues with spam on it. It's come on leaps and bounds with the 3rd revision.

nevf

I had a phpBB3 forum running for a while. I had no issues with spam on it. It's come on leaps and bounds with the 3rd revision.
I agree. It is very quickly catching up with it's counterparts(SMF), and although there is a small bit of spam(vbulletin isn't exactly 100% spam free either), i have found it very good, and there are plugins being developed to block spam, which should be helpful.

not going implementing it into a site I am currently developing, not just yet, because I'm waiting for it to mature a bit more before I begin implementation.

gav240z

From a design perspective cool.

Hi Forbait,
Its pretty good, its been through alot of security tests to make sure its more secure than the previous version.

Unfortunately installing plugin's for it is quite difficult until they develop a mod-module for it.

If you have the coin I'd say Vbulletin is a good bet since its fairly well developed, if you don't mind spending some time ironing out the kinks PHPBB3 should be good.

From a designer point of view phpBB3 is excellent - especially compared with themeing in SMF and Vbulletin.

Joomla.org switched their forum to phpBB3 and it looks like its going to be bridged with Joomla as a forum solution - not sure about bridging though myself - Just something to consider as a site grows you may find you need content management.

nevf

Joomla.org switched their forum to phpBB3 and it looks like its going to be bridged with Joomla as a forum solution - not sure about bridging though myself - Just something to consider as a site grows you may find you need content management.
As far as I know, the phpbb3 bridge is on the cards for getting bridged using the Fabrik component.
Joomla Extension - Fabrik
This extension makes Joomla! far easier to bridge than it is normally.
SMF has began losing support from the Joomla! team due to incompatible licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.