Status
Not open for further replies.

damoth

Hi guys,

Just wondering what page width do you use for web sites?

I'm wondering if i should create a site around 980 wide aimed at 1028 resolution users or should i use something like 760 to include 800 wide resolution visitors.

What's the normal thing to do?

Thanks,

louie

In the past I was using 800px, but lately I use 1000px

tomed

Yeah recently for us more and more customers prefer to go with the 1024 resolution over the 800.

Personally, I'd still go for 800 even though it's used by as little as 8%-10% now, it's still a high percentage not to care about in my opinion!

Busarus

on archiseek I went 800 but placed ads outside of it so in reality its 1000..

on everything else, I'm currently going 980 / 1000

n3tFl0w

Try and figure out who your visitors are. They tech folks? Wide and you'll be fine. Are your visitors people in offices? Aim for 800 to 1000. It a site for old people or very young people? Then 800 tops.

Tis all about demographics! :)

damoth

Thanks guys,

Just wanted to get an idea of what other people are doing.

I have been using the same idea as was mentioned in that the content is 760 wide but there are ads outside that so in reality it's up near 1000.

link8r

800x600 = defunct. stop building sites for cheapskates

Why not provide stretching from an 800 base?

What if the old people have a big screen and want to use larger fonts? wouldn't an expandable 1024 base be better?

1024 size screen capability was default new screen size by the year 2000 - thats almost 9 years ago (across Laptops and desktops).

I'm looking at a couple of sites that are B2C and are very popular across the board, even with old people looking for irish products, 23% are using 1024x768 and less than 3% use 800x600.

I think 800x600 and lower is dead.

Disclaimer: Post title for fun, tongue in cheek. Author accepts no liability for upset posters, 800x600 legacy users and other cheapskates! :p

Solonox

Yeah it usually depends on the client, however if you use an 800px width on your design and someone is viewing on an 800 x 600 resolution, they will have a dirty scroll bar at the bottom of their browsers because of the scrollbar on the right in the browser window. So we would normally use a width of 780px as default and then increase it as the client needs.

Thankfully though 800 x 600 resolutions are fewer and farther between :)

Joomla51

Some people would recommend using a fluid width from lets say a min-width of 760px out as far as a max of 1160px.. problem there is compatible issues with IE6!

So on one hand you accommodate your 800px res users but lose your IE6.. hard to win!! :confused:

effect

i'm sorry, but how on earth does it depend on the client? * YOU are meant to be the designer.

(except for a tiny tiny % of cases where you are developing an intranet which is used on a smaller res etc)

tomed

I have to agree, as designers it should be us suggesting to the clients and not vice versa. We try and advise our clients what's best for them, but ultimately it's their decision.

I don't believe 800x600 users should be forgotten about just yet. It's easy for a a designer to keep them in mind when designing.

Statistics vary a lot, but I think a safe guess is the 8-10% range use 800x600 or lower!

Solonox

Jesus lads! Have a relax... To start with I AM NOT A DESIGNER.. i am a .NET developer. However to justify myself to this crap... Some of the clients we deal with have their own in house designers that are used for promotional work, etc.. so when they get their nose in. Yes it does lend itself down to a client.

Also we have other clients that after a design is done they complain that a 780 width is not giving them what they want.. they would like to see a larger layout. So yes in some cases it does depend on the client.

effect: That is how on earth it depends on the client.. A client isn't going to fork over a serious chunk of cash for a web site that isn't what they are happy with. Yes we can guide them, and suggest.. but at the end of the day.. THEY are paying YOU .. not the other way around.

God damn i am in a bad f**king mood today....

effect

eh yeah, clearly not a designer.

Anyway, we have all had clients i'm sure, who want X and will not be swayed. But a lot of a designers job, as tomed says is to educate the client as to why X is not a great idea, and Y may suit them better.

You need to backup all your decisions regarding design with facts, and reasons as to why you chose that route, you are meant to be the expert in the field, and should act like that.

If you blindly say 'yes' to everything the client asks for, you are doing them a disservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.