What should I charge for support

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

Hi, I have a client who emails / skypes once or twice a week looking for support for their website. They take up about 1.5 hours per week.

I figure its time to talk about a support contract. Any idea what I should charge. Is it a percentage of the original job?

Thanks

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
As Frodo said ... work out your hourly charge ... why should it be any different ?

They have options ...
1 - You can implement a CMS for them. This will cost a bit for you to do for them. It will potentially mean less work in the long run and one of them will have to figure out how to use it. I also find when using most CMS's that it ends up looking slightly amateurish when the customer takes over.
2 - You can continue on the way you are going ... this really does get annoying though. (I assume you're getting paid in some way for the work you are doing)
3 - Hourly rate ... I'm in favour of the hourly rate but a support contract can be more appealing to customers.
4 - Support contract ... Assign them (currently it would seem to be 6 hours you are doing for them) X hours a month and maybe charge them a reduced rate on your normal hourly rate. What it means is they pay you upfront so its easier to keep track of your finances.

With support contracts I let the hours roll over as well so the customer does get good value for money.

alex

Thanks for the replies guys.

They currently have a cms

I started the website over a year ago for them and it was completed eight months later. They kept changing their mind. Headwrecking stuff.

I didnt mind answering the odd question in the beginning but now they are starting to get insistant when I do not reply immediately.

Forbairt

From the sounds of it ...

- Its a bit of work .... if you aren't getting paid for it then the "grace" period is up.

Tell them something along the lines of:
--------
Hi guys,
I currently find myself doing an hour or two a week for you.
As the project was completed X months ago this is now starting to eat into my time and I'm not getting paid anything for it.

If you're happy with my work and would like to continue using me I have two options for you:
- Pay by the hour (higher rate ... won't be instant)
- Pay by a support contract (lower rate ... priority given over other tasks)
===outline the costs / benefits for them here===

Regards,
Smee :D
--------

MickyWall

Be upfront with them. You have got a business to run and if you don't grab the reins you'll be in trouble.

In future make sure you have some sort of maintenance contract.
What would happen if you had 5 clients doing this each week?

I'm sure they'll totally understand.

Forbairt

As MickyWall said ... if they don't understand ... its really not worth it.

I had to tell various people this this year and they are all ok with it so far you'll be surprised.
(well I was at any rate)

Baz

I agree with the above.

I have two "after hours" clients on six month contracts each, the work I do for them is tiny, about half an hours a month but they are happy to pay 10% less than the hourly rate each month to have it there. Thats the way I go, and if they company gets nasty about hourly "pay as you go" tell them they could save money (and give your wallet a cash injection) by paying over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.