What's this gold star stuff on Google ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnboy

Hi

I'm really confused about something. First off, what are these gold starred sites on Google ?

On my computer when I do a search for my site by using various terms in the search box I am coming up in really good positions - often at the top of the 1st page - with a gold star. But my wife checked on my site from another computer using the same search terms and my position was completely different - and nowhere near as good ??

Can anyone explain this please ?

Thank you

Wild Thing

Log out of your google account before checking any positions on your keywords.

MOH

Since last December or so Google shows personalised search regardless of whether you're logged into a Google account or not, based on your browsing history.

Add '&pws=0' to the end of the URL after you search, or install the Google global plugin for Firefox (then right click on a search page and choose Search Googal Global > Ireland).

Can't remember the source of the gold star - it's either something you've previously manually starred, or maybe it comes from your bookmarks

[edit] yep, it's stuff you've starred yourself previously

Another way to get de-personalised results is to keep one browser just for that purpose, clear your history and cookies all the time. But Firefox+Google Global is probably the handiest

Status
Not open for further replies.