Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlawed

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum….

I’ve fairly new to this whole web designer/web master ‘game’. So far it’s going well but I have 1 client who expects the earth from me. For this client I designed their site (simple HTML and PHP) and then bought 1 years worth of hosting expecting only to hear from them when they wanted me to renew their hosting for another year and maybe the odd support email. It was very informal, no contracts - I design the site, put it online and he pays me.

The problem is every time there is an issue with their site for example, server downtime, site is slow to load, the site isn’t listed highly on Google he is straight on the phone saying he’s paid me good money and expects it to be working and he could be losing business.

He’s a bit of a technophobe so it’s understandable but ultimately it’s not my fault the site is down or running slowly as I don’t run the hosting. Where should I draw the line with him? Obviously only being a beginner in this I don’t want to ruin my reputation by walking away and refunding him the hosting cost for the year and letting him have the design.

Anybody had similar problems with clients or have any advice. In hindsight I would have made sure everything was in writing regarding support/hosting issues but being a n00b I didn’t.

Cheers

link8r

Probably should be under Working aspects of being a webmaster.

The problem is that you've offered you services as a web master to this client - so you haven't outlined what it is you do and don't do. You need to get their expectations and your service offering in alignment - for example, what you are going to charge, when, why and what for. What you can and can't do.

Also, by reselling him the hosting, you need to accept some level responsiblity or at least give them a disclaimer stating what and what you are not liable for.

The client has a point - you said you can get a website up and running for him - the fact you don't have the experience or knowledge to follow through with that might be part of the problem.

What you can do: Suggest the client moves hosting - that you cannot take responsibility for the hosting. Maybe get some recommendations or host where you can get proper support.

Google rankings - I would argue that this is slightly outside of "web design" and is a separate service. Ask your client what his expectations are and what parts of these are achievable.

Websites don't rank automatically - and the "build it they will come" myth is truly dead and buried. Ranking a site is called "SEO" - search engine optimisation.

There is quite to a lot to being a web business than just being able to design a site, I'd encourage you to investigate it a bit and maybe talk to a few web professionals (by professional I mean that they do it for a living, not suggesting you're not professional) and see what they have to say.

K

Kieran

What did you present to him as the package initially? babyboy808 suggests a contract which might help but is probably too late now.

There is probably an even split of customers out there between people who know nothing about he web / computers and those who have some clue. They both have their challenges in different areas. What I suggest for future business is that besides the design that you do the following with the customer.

Outline in a Word document very clearly what you are delivering and what you are not delivering as part of the site. The document need not be a 100 page tome but can be 4-5 simple text with simple lists in layman's language. If it is going to take you a couple of hours to do it then add 2 x hours to the cost to reflect this later. Once you get a template going it will be quicker

In the case of the person you are dealing with a face to face may help. Again I use a 5-6 page PowerPoint template for what the site is meant to deliver and it is often a synopsis of the document above. Give them a hosting 101 presentation and what the site currently does for him

As link8r says in his post never promise SEO/page ranking to someone if you cannot deliver. I promise solid on-page work to people but always state that they need to go the professionals if they want to rank for competitive keywords.

Lastly if this customer is breaking your heart after above just get rid of them - sometimes its not worth hassle and the sleepless nights and stress of handling someone like this.

websitedesign

The line should be fomally drawn in the contract that was signed before starting the contract.. exact # of revisions, feedback timeline, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.