Which domain name for my product

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewaterboy

I think this is the most relevant location for this question.

If I wanted to setup a website for an irish product, but wanted to target another country with the site would i be better getting the domain name of that country or getting a .ie domain name

e.g. if i wanted to target Spain would i get

myproduct.es

or

myproduct.ie

What about hosting - would i host it in Spain or Ireland.

Curious to peoples opinions

louie

best .es with other options being .com, etc, and set the target country using the "Webmaster Tools" in Google.

link8r

There's no point getting a .ie when targeting Spain. Spanish users will be used to .es. A .ie will almost (99.99%) be seen as Irish only. You can't change this in Webmasters.

A .es will also always be seen as a Spanish site, so you can't move it. At least a .com lets you pick the country and you can change it as much as you want. Like giving your domain a passport to the world. Hosting in the country, I understand from listening to Google Webmasters team, doesn't affect it too much - mainly because they appreciate an open market philosophy which suggests you should get the best hosting bang for your buck.

I do however recommend hosting in Ireland though and I can recommend BK and also Digiweb (to be balanced :) ).

If you really want my top inside tip, which I'm loving at the moment, you can setup a .com and rank it in Spain, then move it to Germany (for example) and it won't immediately lose it's Spanish ranks - which i'm finding to my absolute delight. In fact it can continue to grow in both search markets :).

Also, a .com can be split into multiple countries - but it has to be separate parts/folders. E.g. myspanishsite.com/spain, /uk or uk.myspanishsite.com

Status
Not open for further replies.