Status
Not open for further replies.

fobby

I'm looking to make a simple photo gallery. I want the website owner who is not so technically minded to be able to upload the photos to the gallery.

I've looked at Coppermine and Gallery 2. Leaning towards Gallery 2 at the moment, it's seems simplier? Is it possible to easily get rid (configuration) of all the log in stuff and E-commerse stuff from Gallery 2/Coppermin so when you access the gallery you just see the Albums and not much else ?

Redfly

I moved all of my galleries over to flickr and used different api implementations to display them on my own sites.

Never been happier.

fobby

Ok cheers, been playing a little over the last couple of hours with Gallery2, seems to do what I said above with a bit of work.

will look into the Flickr too.

Not that I'm doing anything too major but if Flickr goes down, does that affect your gallery ?

Redfly

Not that I'm doing anything too major but if Flickr goes down, does that affect your gallery ?

Yes, but Yahoo owns flickr and it's hosted on Yahoo servers. It doesn't go down. (Usually). It would be down a lot less than your current server. (IMHO)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Flickr is a nice service, but relying on a 3rd party for part of your website content can be a problem at times.

Redfly

Flickr is a nice service, but relying on a 3rd party for part of your website content can be a problem at times.

But with your hosting company you are replying on a third party too in a way. If you have a lot of images, in my case, I had bandwidth issues after a while.

fobby

That's a good point redflystudios, I they are both third parties in the end. Just you might be in a better position to put pressure/get info from your local hosting provider than from Yahoo

Anyway getting sidetracked.

BTW the gallery that I'm going to build will be quite small, probably 20 photos to start and added to occasionally. Are the like of Gallery2 overkill, really don't want/need to use any features bar displaying the images and thumbnails ?

davidbehan

I like the SlideShowPro Director product for managing my galleries and then I built a frontend to interact directly with that database. It's not how it's supposed to be used but it works well and SSP Director is a great product for creating galleries, uploading zip files of images, editing, etc.

Cormac

A lot of companies place file sharing sites on their firewall's blacklist. This blacklist can include photo sharing sites. When I view certain websites from within work I have to do a bit of guess work when certain bloggers host all their images on Flickr.

Status
Not open for further replies.