Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
rsynnott said:
I know my limitations; I have no artistic ability and don't do web design.

So you stick to backend development ?

Would you work with designers ?

dahamsta

How's it going chaps? First post around here, registered to post in the standards thread but saw this first. Aaaaaanyway...

DW for design (rare these days); EditPlus for tweaking/coding/regexes; PSP for images (hate Photoshop); vi for editing on the server; WordPress for content management of brochureware, bespoke for major content management; osCommerce for basic shops, bespoke for bigger; vBulletin for forums (used to use phpBB for cheapies, but now insist on vB); PDFCreator (pseudo printer) for PDF generation; WAMP for testing server (currently moving back to LAMP). Did I miss anything?

adam

dahamsta

You've probably guessed all the exploits, and you'd be right, but also because their development cycle is atrocious and they just don't have the features. Obviously I can't stamp my feet as an unhappy customer since they provide it for free and fair dues to them for that, but they really do need to get their skates on if they want their project to stay alive.

adam

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Adam - Have you tried out any of the plugins etc., for vBulletin 3.5* yet?

It's one of the reasons that I have moved so many sites over to it :D

dahamsta

I avoided plugins in the past, for obvious reasons, however the new plugin system does seem pretty cool and I have tried it with a custom plugin of my own making (honestly can't remember what it is, must have a look).

However the same problems still exist to a certain degree: templates still need to be reverted a lot of the time and plugins need to be reinstalled, so I don't think I'll be going into them in a big way anytime soon.

adam

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
dahamsta said:
However the same problems still exist to a certain degree: templates still need to be reverted a lot of the time and plugins need to be reinstalled, so I don't think I'll be going into them in a big way anytime soon.

adam

Adam - I guess that depends on the plugins that you install...

The ones I use most often do not make any crazy changes to templates and any template changes are very trivial to fix

splashIT.net

Hows a goin!

Tis my first time here and it all looks very cool and very useful to me as i try to gain as much experience everyday in this computer world in my youth!

Well i started webdesign with my school as a transition year mini company in 2003 and we used microsoft publisher 98. Primative, simple but it was easy and effective at the time. Since then i have moved on and expanded everything from the software we use to where we host our sites!! (Blacknight!) I currently use dreamweaver and it is savage. Before that i used frontpage and i would also recomend it as it is very easy to use the great for people learning to make good looking sites.

Although recently i got Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 free with PC Live magazine and its great. Hard to use but the templates are good to play with for now. Unfortunatly if you go to http://www.pgphotosport.com/Default.aspx
you will notice that i have had no luck in getting the site to work once i put it online. IF anyone has any ideas i would appreciate the help as it is great for making galleries.

Also i use cutenews from www.cutephp.com. If anyone knows any free software as good or even better than that which can be incorporated into php websites i would appreciate the reccomendation.

Thanks all

splashIT.net

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
splashit - Nice to see you here

If you want to play with visual studio you will need to either setup a local server on windows or get access to one remotely..

9barJoe

Allaire HomeSite 4.5.1 editor - old school

Tried zend devopment studio for a while , but Java text ediitor .. no, I don't think so somehow.

evilhomer

Notepad++ for the XHTML and PHP
and PhotoShop CS for my fledgling Graphic design skills.
I usually use phpMyAdmin for creating my databases if i'm doing a LAMP project.
If it's a .NET thing I use VS 2003/5 for the back end stuff and handcode the front end xhtml.

grandad

Dreamweaver for initial page layout
Topstyle for initial CSS tweaking
Textpad to refine all the above and for PHP. [95% of work is done in Textpad]
Fireworks for GIFs [menus et al]
Photoshop for the fancy stuff
Flash but only if I have to.

I've messed with PHPed but always seem to come back to Textpad.

Oh, and did I mention Textpad?

louie

I am not a php guy like all of you, instead I got to hang of ASP and I am happy with it.

From start i used Dreamweaver, which now is more for checking out the layout and use it the view the page before it goes live.

Drop the tables layout last year and try to have as much <div> tags as I can, so CSS was very handy to learn.

For images I use Fireworks, Photoshop and Illustrator.
Databases - Access, mySQL and SQL

For the back end I use ASP Maker or ASPRunner. I prefer ASPMaker, the second one being handy for some other staff.

SlitheryImp

I'm not much of a designer, I usually get someone to come up with a basic design for me and I then code it.

I use Visual Studio 2005 Professional for the coding and Photoshop to Slice the templates I receive from the designers. I much prefer Paint.Net though, nice and simple :)

I might try Visual Web Developer Express though, I don't need all the bells and whistles of VS Professional. (Got it for free at the Microsoft launch in November)

RedCardinal

Notepad++ s great for css and general html editing - it recognises a large number of languages and is free over at sourceforge.

Been trying out Zend for Php development. Very good IDE.
Graphics (not too good at this though!) with photoshop.
Any html or css handcoded with notepad++.

Firebug & developer tools extensions for firefox are indispensible for testing/debugging (especially firebug for XmlHttpRequest debugging)

Trying to teach myself more advanced javascript but find it quite tough (still cant get my head around javascript this and OOP compared with php this). Dont know any good editors/debuggers for javascript.

enzo

The tools

Frontpage? You serious??

- Editor: HTML-Kit, all you ever need for coding
Tried some alternatives but none compared. I enjoy hand coding.

- Graphics: Gimp drives me nuts. Currently playing with Inkscape. have previously tried Paint2, Dogwaffle among others. Generally use "2D&3D Animator" along with MS Paint. i suck at graphics anyway.

- Apache & PHP/MySQL installed on the laptop for testing.

Sin é.

Status
Not open for further replies.