Which SSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCardinal

Anyone have any views on particular SSL vendors?

In particular, whether the better known badges and HTTPS vendors have positive effects on buyers perception of the company? Site in question is aimed at Irish market.

Was looking at Verisign, but they seem to have become expensive since last I looked (a while ago). Also looking at Thawte.

Thanks in advance
Richard

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
A few years ago it would have made a bigger difference, as some of the smaller CAs were not in the browsers.
These days there's hardly any difference except price.

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
When buying one recently we done a quick survey round the non-techie people in the office who would shop online. Two questions really, 1. when they buy things on line do the look for a security logo and 2. which of the below would trust the most.

I can't remember which one they all picked but it wasn't one of the front runners (Verisign, Thwate, etc) It was the most polished looking one it was round and shiny very Web2.0 (wish i could remember who.)

I the end we bought one from Thwate because everyone answered the first question no. Most didn't even recognise Verisign let alone any of the others.

CiaranR

I short that was my point, we only bought Thwate because they had a sale or something on a two year cert.
Plus having a somewhat recognisable security logo on your site will help build trust. What do you think would our survey be accurate on a larger scale do people look for secured by logos any more?
I think its important on new sites. but not so much on established ones.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of the other CAs have nice "secured by" logos etc.,
Personally I prefer the alertsite logos which show that the server is actually secure from penetration

CiaranR

True but with your ordinary Joe Soap not knowing one from the other I think they are more likely to trust one they may recognise especially with a new site. I mean anyone can make a nice logo but do Joe Soaps think like that or do they think if its nice it must be safe. The alert site one is good if people know what it means but odd's on they don't and this one may be better in that case. Would you trust a site with this?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
While I can understand what you are getting at you are missing the entire point of the real site seals such as those offered by Alertsite. If you click on the site seal it will give you info.

CiaranR

you are missing the entire point of the real site seals such as those offered by Alertsite. If you click on the site seal it will give you info.

I'm not missing the point, I know the Info they give but, our friend Joe doesn't nor does he even think to click on it. But then now i come to think about it if he's nervous about the site he just mite. Then on the filp side i can add a whole wealth of technical security information when you click on my logo.

I think that what matters to users is that this info is from a recognisable authority and the trouble is no-one really fits that bill. It would be good if some one like sitealert could fill the gap but a the moment not many people know of them. Verisign or Thwate are the closest I can think of to it even paypal could be, but i think joe soaps are generaly confused by it at first and with rates, etc, its not really an option.

Redfly

I was just about to purchase one with instaltssl (Comodo).

Michele, you would reccomend Comodo? My only concern really is price.

Status
Not open for further replies.