Staff member
Which TLDs Do You Value?

I don't mean to sell, but to use or sell ie. in general

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
This is a multiple choice by the way :)

Gavin

Hmm so many votes and no replies. I wonder what everyone is hiding.

The .com's for me as most of my sites target either a global audience or the Americans.

Cormac

.ie
.com
.co.uk
.net
.org

But also some snazzy tlds such as .fm .tv .it and .us due to their domain hackability and realationship with domains.

Redfly

.com
.net
.org
.eu

Because of the 99 cents price of a .info domain, I have something in my head that they may be discounted a little in SEs. I know, I know. It's the only bit of fear mongering I give into.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Because of the 99 cents price of a .info domain, I have something in my head that they may be discounted a little in SEs. I know, I know. It's the only bit of fear mongering I give into.
The .info promos are counter-productive.

They're simply too cheap that they get abused - they're like throwaway domains ... which is a pity, as the Afilias guys are really nice people :)

madringo

.ie
.com
.net
.org

blacknight said:
The .info promos are counter-productive.

They're simply too cheap that they get abused - they're like throwaway domains ... which is a pity, as the Afilias guys are really nice people :)
You can say that again! Lost count how many .info's I've gotten and just left to rot - they're so cheap it's rude not to buy 10 at a time :p

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
The .mobi kinda feels like a fad ... that said I've not done much work for mobile devices and I also don't use my phone to browse so possibley if I did my opinion would change greatly

Tom

From a local and business point of view .ie and .com are the big ones for me, after that .co.uk but I wouldn't register one unless I was targeting the UK.

Forbairt

Two of my clients have .co.uk domains, they don't however have the same .com's and I'm not sure how much it hurts them ...

the amount of people I know though who just put in xyz.com and expect that to be your site .. is scary ...

The amount of people I know who put in xyz.com into the search bar .. is even scarier :)

Forbairt

You mean thats not how you use the internet????
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

reminds me of when my mum used to come to me saying i want you to look up this website for me .... somecompany@eircom.net

It really annoys me when i see it on vans and business cards ... visit us online at www.somecomany.ie or email us somecompany@eircom.net

That really scares me ... having had god knows how many email addresses over the years but never an eircom.net one ... :D ... do people really think it costs that much to get their own email address ...

My neighbours 2 doors down .. have an eircom.net address on their van ... *wonders if they have a website to go with it* :D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
... do people really think it costs that much to get their own email address ...

A lot of them probably don't even know that they can get email with their domains (if they have one)

We still get phonecalls from people asking us why their email isn't working to find out that they're actually referring to their eircom.net email ....

Geoff

To me it seems like there seems to be value in going for the .com unless you have a country specific site. Then it's kinda a waste.

To me, sites that have .net just look like try hards, but who knows, the number of useful names you can still get on .com is pretty well diminished at this point.

3rigena

.com for the win
[offtopic]
however I also want a .adulu domain. will it ever happen?

where is adulu on google maps incidentally?
[/offtopic]

Status
Not open for further replies.