Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

it seems that way, and by the looks of it the posts are made to increase count for the signature. Hope it just looks that way and I apologise in advance if I am wrong.

robfahy

I host with letshost.ie I find their support excellent and love their CPanel. Does any one know of other companies that offer CPanel? I find the Fantastico feature great and can set up MySQL databases in seconds.
One big worry was that their hard drive died on Thursday night and it was Friday night before everything was back up and running. I host about 20 clients accounts with them and had plenty of calls about bounced emails, websites down, which I could have done without.
Also, their servers seem to be dragging a bit lately and a few people have told me my websites have been slow to access.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, rob.

Cormac

Rob, I hear that marblehost are a reliable hosting company. :D

Nah, read back over this thread. Pretty much everyone made their own recommendations.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I still don't understand why people have this fixation with cpanel

I've used it and it's not that wonderful

Other control panels are as good if not better

robfahy

I still don't understand why people have this fixation with cpanel. I've used it and it's not that wonderful. Other control panels are as good if not better

I suppose it's really down to personal opinion and what each developer is most comfortable with using.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose it's really down to personal opinion and what each developer is most comfortable with using.

It's a control panel for God's sake

Yet people seem to have this ridiculous fixation with it

What are you doing with a control panel anyway? Setting up email addresses? Adding databases?

What else?

As long as the UI is reasonably intuitive I can't understand why anyone would choose a hosting provider based on that.

There are plenty of commercial control panels out there:

Cpanel
DirectAdmin
Plesk
Ensim
H-sphere
Helm (windows only)

(there's a few more listed here: Top > Hosting Automation - Hosting Software - Webhosting Solutions )

Unless you are running a hosting company it shouldn't make that much difference to you which one you choose.

Anyhow I digress ....

The only Irish based hosting company offering cpanel that I know of is Hosting Irish Hosting Buy Domain Name.eu.ie Web Domain.ie LINUX DEll Help-Nod32 Nod 32-Host servers Dedicated Occupational PayPal Account Health. ColdFusion Hosting Safety Consultant Professional Register business.ie. ColdFusion Name plus Page Rank.

dude

I've used Cpanel for years, so it's pretty much "stick with what you know" for me. Also, I've always found it to be very reliable, and does everything I need it to do.

For me it's worth the €25 per month or whatever I pay for it. Basically it provides me with a bit of peace of mind.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Just found this from the newsletter that was sent out ...
I'm hosting with ...

Dreamhost.com in the US ... what they offer is great but recently they've been having way way too much down time ...

I've hosting with hosting365.com and just decided on using blacknight.ie for my company website and a few others and I'm damn happy with the service so far ... servers seem very fast to respond

So far I'm pretty happy with the choices I've made :) and who knows what the next few months holds in store for me :)

lostie

Im currently looking for a host for a college society website here that im doing, i need to register a .ie domain and get reasonable hosting for the best price available, any advice on who i should go with? so far the best offer ive seen is digiwebs Home Advance Hosting Annual with a .ie domain for €84 a year, is this good value?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Im currently looking for a host for a college society website here that im doing, i need to register a .ie domain and get reasonable hosting for the best price available, any advice on who i should go with? so far the best offer ive seen is digiwebs Home Advance Hosting Annual with a .ie domain for €84 a year, is this good value?

How much traffic / bandwidth will this thing need ... I know most hosting providers have offers for around the 40 quid a year ... I know digiweb was also doing a student special offer ..

lostie

Thanks for the replies, i knew about the student offer but we cant really use it since firstly we need a .ie not a .com, and also we will be advertising on it and thus using it for commercial use. But I will be availing of that offer personally of course but thats a separate issue :) !
We'd be looking at a fairly small range in terms of traffic and bandwith, max 500 visitors a day and i shouldnt think we'd need more than 2 gb diskspace. What would be my best bet?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member

Which college society is it for?

CelticJim

I've used ,and continue to use both Bluehost and Hostgator for the past 4 years and never an issue.In saying that I haven't gotten near using my bandwidth allotment yet but that is about to be tested as I crank up operations.
100% uptime and any questions i ever have are quickly answered.Hostgators chat service is manned by very knowledgable and helpful people.

have heard bad things about media temple which I saw mentioned a couple of times here.

I would love to use Blacknights service so I will look into that for the future--love to keep business at home if I can help it as long as I get my moneys' worth

Status
Not open for further replies.