Will .mobi be a damp squid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The .mobi TLD will become available to the public shortly (it's currently only open to trademark holders etc.,)
Do you think it's going to have a future or will it be yet another damp squid like me.uk or .name?

ph3n0m

I'd have to say this will probably become very big amongst the mobile network operators themselves - especially those who do mobile blogging/storage systems (plug plug), and more of the US operators will probably use this too.

That said, I dont see joe bloggs using it as frequently as the .com

jmcc

Anyone remember WAP? There will be some speculation but only a few will make money - the rest will be stuck with useless domains - just like .eu gTLD. However .mobi does seem to be better managed so it could be a limited success.

Regards...jmcc

RedCardinal

Curiously I wonder if the SE's will add any weight to .mobi domains in their mobile search portals?

It seems that the handset makers are gradually moving toward higher res screens and you would have to wonder if mobile arena will take off some time?

Suppose it needs a catalyst - cheaper data prices?

jmcc

The article covers most of the salient points pretty comprehensively.
Yep - if only the Irish technology journalists could be so lucid. The whole .eu fiasco seems to have completely bypassed them and with respect to .mobi, it will only be a press release that makes it into their publications.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

And what about .tel ? :)
And the whole enum thing? Actually the .tel thing could be the old telcos getting worried about the shift from fixed line telephony to mobile telephony. The whole domain extension thing is becoming a bit strange. Much of it stems from the fact that many domains (in .com at least) are never used and as such there is an artificial rarity.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Enum's a bit different... I wouldn't lump it into the same category

I'd agree with you about the false rarity thing alright... A lot of potentially useful domains aren't ever going to be available...

RedCardinal

So a few people are taking a nibbe then?

Have to admit I put in an order for two myself yesterday :D

Is it first come first served at the moment? Just when I registered them I thought I saw that there was no guarantees (and I'm a bit of a domain dummy).

Obvious single word generics seemed to be gone.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I think they may have taken a leaf out of .fm's book and restricted domains that they saw as being "marketable"
Some of their choices were a bit odd though ....

RedCardinal

I see that .mobi's are going for $14.99 over on godaddy now. Originally priced at $29.99.

I wonder are we going to see a load of spam and MFA appearing on .mobi?

Status
Not open for further replies.