Windows hosting package - .htaccess file for different 404 pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePhantom

Hi,

I've a Windows hosting package, allowing me to have up to 30 domain names. So far I've only got two, and I want to have a different 404 page for each.

There is one central area where I can specify a 404 page, but that page applies to any domains hosted in that webspace, which is no good to me.

I emailed support, and they said

`[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]It's not possible to have the two sites with custom error pages in the current configuration. During the hosting configuration, you would need to add the domain to its own webspace - then you can set the error docs on a per-webspace basis.

Alternatively you may be able to use a .htaccess to specify it.
`

Now that has really confused me... my knowledge of web servers is pretty sketchy, but I always associated .htaccess files with Apache servers, not Windows.

Can someone shed some light on this for me pls?

Ta,
J.
[/FONT]

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
What they're saying is twofold

You can specify a separate webspace per site, so you could have a 404 page for each site

Regarding the .htaccess - I'm not 100% sure what they mean, but I presume they're talking about ISAPI Rewrite, which gives you similar functionality to Apache's mod_rewrite

(Disclaimer - I know very little about IIS / Windows servers)

WhitePhantom

Thanks blacknight - I understand what they're saying about the webspace (I think), but afaik that would mean setting up a separate hosting package for each website, and being billed accordingly each year, so being allowed to host 30 domains on one hosting package seems a bit of a waste of time.

I'll get back to them and find out more - I just wanted to pick someone's brain first in case I was asking them something really dumb! :D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I've no idea which hosting provider you're using, but on our system you can slice and dice your disk space without having to buy extra hosting plans

ie. create a webspace for each site / domain at no extra cost

Presumably other providers use a similar system ..

Status
Not open for further replies.