Would you register a personal .ie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandad

I just read back on this thread, and realised it has literally changed the world.

See posts 2 to 5 on page 2. That crack of Michele's is what prompted the opening of a terrible Pandora's Box, and the unleashing the ravings of a demented mind on the unfortunates of the Internet. Blame him :cool:

Back on topic........

I could see no personal value in richard {at} oconnor {dot} ie, and contact {at} richardoconnor {dot} ie is worse.

An address I do have [which is cool], is richard {at} enniskerry {dot} ie which I think is a bit more personal and even more descriptive. There are many Richard O'Connors in the world but not many Richards in Enniskerry! So I have my name and my address in one.

jmcc

Not sure. Though I am even more unsure as to the value of introducing subdomains of .ie such as (co/org/net/me etc). The big problems with implementing such a thing are that would result in more expenditure for existing domain holders and more complications for IEDR's systems.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Though I am even more unsure as to the value of introducing subdomains of .ie such as (co/org/net/me etc). The big problems with implementing such a thing are that would result in more expenditure for existing domain holders and more complications for IEDR's systems.

With the recent introduction of the API it is the ideal time to look at adding other subdomains.

If the restrictions on some of the subdomains were practically non-existent ie. Irish citizen / resident it could lead to an explosion in the number of .ie domains. As the registration could be almost 100% automated the cost per domain could be reduced significantly, though I'm sure certain companies would still overcharge as they do at present

jmcc

With the recent introduction of the API it is the ideal time to look at adding other subdomains.
Perhaps but is the API working well for everyone? And another important question: can IEDR legitimately create subs?

If the restrictions on some of the subdomains were practically non-existent ie. Irish citizen / resident it could lead to an explosion in the number of .ie domains. As the registration could be almost 100% automated the cost per domain could be reduced significantly, though I'm sure certain companies would still overcharge as they do at present
True but it might cause a lot more problems - perhaps if an existing .ie domain was prohibited from being in a sub it might be OK. However given IEDR's incompetence in the Eubrowser squatting/warehousing affair, I do not think that the management of, or the collection of turnips on the board, are capable of making handling a subbed .ie ccTLD.

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
True but it might cause a lot more problems - perhaps if an existing .ie domain was prohibited from being in a sub it might be OK.
Restricting the usage would defeat the entire object of the exercise.

Take any Irish surname, such as Murphy. The current holder of murphy.ie is listed as Murphy Technologies Limited
Now if I was John Murphy I would like to be able to register either murphy.name.ie or some derivative thereof and if I represented Murphy Technologies Limited I wouldn't take issue with that, as there is no possible grounds for confusion

jmcc

Restricting the usage would defeat the entire object of the exercise.
There is no viable half way point between managed and unmanaged ccTLD. And the IEDR's incompetence would ensure that they would mess it up.

Take any Irish surname, such as Murphy. The current holder of murphy.ie is listed as Murphy Technologies Limited
Now if I was John Murphy I would like to be able to register either murphy.name.ie or some derivative thereof and if I represented Murphy Technologies Limited I wouldn't take issue with that, as there is no possible grounds for confusion
True but get into trademarks and you have someone potentially using a trademark in a domain name. And what about .org.ie and .net.ie - more confusion?

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.