WP ~ Irish Language Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddyBloggit

Is there any way of having WP defaults such as months, days etc. display in Irish.

I searched the WP fora but the link to the Irish package is dead.

I'm setting up a site as Gaeilge but need to have the defaults as Gaeilge as well.

Thanks.

GlicIT

If it is just the days and months you'd like and no other messages etc., then the quick and dirty fix would be to edit the locale.php file located in wp-includes.

The snag with this is that locale.php would be overwritten during upgrades so you'd have to remember to upload your version again.

The proper solution would be to download the latest wordpress.pot file, translate it, create a .mo file (ga_GA.mo) using a tool such as poEdit, upload it to wp-includes/languages and edit wp-config.php such that define ('WPLANG', '') pulls Irish.

I attempted translating the .POT into Irish myself last year and gave up as it was taking far to long. There are 16,000 lines in the latest version and even though not all need be translated it is a daunting task.

I'll have a snoop today to see if I can find the .MO I did make. It may do enough to meet your needs.

PaddyBloggit

Still trying to resolve this issue ... I had the contact form plugin translated .... then updated the plugin .... et voila .... back to default English! :rolleyes:

(By the way .... how/why did this thread become a sticky? Not the most exciting thread I've started) :)

GlicIT

I reckon I may have a fix for you.

Basically it means taking the latest .POT file and stripping out all the messages you don't need translated and translating those remaining ones. i.e. Month; Day and so on.

Which Contact Form plugin are you using? If it has been coded properly it should be possible to add the messages it generates to the above .POT (or it may even have support for its own .POT).

Then create a .MO as in my first response.

I'm temped to give it a go myself. But I have customers screaming at me to come collect cheques. No, sorry. That was a dream. They're screaming for other stuff.

PaddyBloggit

Sorry for the slow response .... back on track again.

I'll look into your suggestion GlicIT and see what happens.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.