Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBallantine

Hi

I have a site at Custom Made Pine Furniture & Kitchens - East Coast Cabinets, Wicklow & Dublin, Ireland. . I also have an account with Google Sitemaps. Google Sitemaps reports that my site returns in number one position on the search for the phrase 'carosel kitchens'.. :). hmmm, the question is though that 'carosel' should be spelt 'carousel' i.e. it's spelt incorrectly, Google knows this and offers the correct spelling but I still get number one search position. I have the phrase used more than once, sometimes correctly and once incorrectly. This was my mistake originally but I left it in as other people may search and spell the word wrong and I'll be number one. :rolleyes: I'm not number one for the correctly spelt phrase. :(

Can this be used to advantage? I do know that Google can't be 100% confident that 'carosel' is a mis spelling as it could be a brand name or a placename and so Google is right to return sites that include it....

I also noticed that some sites return (on the search) for mis spellings if the mis spellings are present on the site, i.e fruniture for furniture. So I included a mis spelling list of my most desirable keyword on the page
Search for custom pine furniture from East Coast Cabinets.
but I was advised to remove it as it may be spamming. I have since reduced the mis spelling list to about 20 words but should I get rid of it completely?

Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Joe

JoeBallantine

Well, what about including mis spellings on link back text... this wouldn't be on your own domain but you would see the benefit. :p

I now rank for 'fruniture ireland' in sixth on Google which I wouldn't do if I didn't include the mis spelling list, and the people above me have definitely included the mis spelling on purpose. I don't rank as well for 'furniture ireland'.

In my previous post I rank in second now for 'carosel kitchen' which is two seperate words, not a phrase, I've only included the quotes to show what I'm entering. But I did say phrase in the earlier post which may have been confusing.

Cheers
Joe

RedCardinal

Just wondering do you think that you will get much traffic from the mis-spelled keywords?

Targeting mis-spellings is an old trick that can be profitable for fairly large niches, but ranking well for any given mis-spelling will only be valuable if enough people search for that term.

Also bear in mind that 2 of the 6 sites ranked above you are spam sites that definitely target the mis-spelling, I reckon 1 or 2 are real mistakes and I'm not sure why the Irish Trading Company comes up (dont see 'fruntiture' anywhere in the mark-up - might be anchor text).

In sitemaps is the phrase 'fruniture ireland' actually get you hits? (there are two keyword tables - the one on the right shows you phrases that were clicked through).

You can always try getting rid of that list and see how things pan out over maybe 1 month. If you think it has hurt you you can put it back.

Sorry - I know me giving any further advice on this probably isn't going to help you as I was the one who originally advised removing the list.

Rgds

Richard.

JoeBallantine

Hi

In Sitemaps there are only eight entries on the left table and none on the right... I came first on two searches, one was the mis spelling and the other was 'maple bedside locker dublin' as single words... pretty specific search words.

I also come third for the phrase "diy kitchen installation" which is a phrase with quotes. I'm happy about that. (that was google.co.uk)

I know that Google can alter the results based on the geographic location of the users IP address so entering Dublin or Ireland isn't totally necessary as Google will tweak the results anyway. I checked the location of my site using a tool and it's in Dublin so that's good, apparently some peoples sites may be hosted somewhere else which would hurt them.

My mis spelling list is very new, only two or three weeks old so it's hard to know the effect it's having.

Spelling mistakes that are letter transposition errors are quite common, people looking for furniture aren't necessarily web savvy so there may be a benefit. Also furniture is hard to spell... :p... relative to 'cat' or 'teapot' anyway.

I'd say that targeting mis spellings isn't worth as much since the Google spellchecker came on line...

Thanks for the advice...

Cheers
Joe

RedCardinal

I haven't checked but AFAIK the right hand table shows the SERP placements that resulted in a clickthrough to your site.

The point with the Dublin/Ireland in the search phrase is that for some competitive niches it acts as a further filter. Using Google.ie may still result in results for foreign sites that have very high ranking.

One thing I didn't mention is that depending on how popular your site is with Google (e.g. how often the googlebot crawls your site), any changes you make might take some days/weeks before they actually show up in the SERPs.

SEO is a long-term process :(

JoeBallantine

Yes, the right table does shows click throughs but it's empty for me, maybe there aren't many, most of my visitors are probably directories and searchengines.

Even when Google does come around to call the pages she visits aren't necessarily updated in the cache. There are still pages that haven't been updated in the cache since May even though Google knows there are updated versions.

I have made many updates since May including keyword cramming, particularily Dublin, Wicklow and Ireland in the page titles, I'm hoping my search positions are based on the cached pages and my search positions will continue to improve as Google updates its' cache but I'm not sure. I was going to ask but I didn't think people would know. As I say Google knows about the updated pages but hasn't updated its' cache. A very important change since May is the use of <h1> tags and other <h> tags, previously everything was in <p> tags which was a very basic error on my part. Using CSS for style made it easier to layout the pages, this was introduced in June. Before CSS when I used <h> tags the text would go wonky and gaps would open up etc and I didn't really know how to fix it so I just used <p> tags...

Google sitemaps says the top words on my site are
pine
cabinets
furniture
custom

but Wicklow, Ireland and Dublin are down quite a bit.

The top words linking to my site are
coast
east
cabinets
pine
custom
furniture

which is very good but again Wicklow, Ireland and Dublin are down quite a bit. This is why I think including Wicklow, Ireland and Dublin in the page titles should help and I'm hoping they'll move up the keyword list as Google updates its' cache.

I may do another run of directory submissions with carefully chosen link text, it seems to pay off very well.

I do know that including the geographic terms in the search phrase makes it much more likely pages that contain the geographic term will be returned but the location of the searchers IP address has a small effect, people may not realise that.

I've wondered how the SEO competitons get around that geographic tweaking, surely the no.1 site will be different in different parts of the world because of it? What I mean is that a tasmanian entrant who searches Google.com from his Tasmanian IP address will be more likely to get his site no. 1 but it may not be when Google.com is searched from other locations. The SEO competitions are the ones where they give a nonsense phrase and people have to be the no.1 site on a particular day to win the prize.

Cheers
Joe

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It's odd how a choice of wording can effect things ....

I get quite a bit of traffic on my blog for "apache2 configuration", whereas I wouldn't for "apache 2 configuration"

Status
Not open for further replies.