Status
Not open for further replies.

ph3n0m

Ok people (for those who designed/developed waaay back in the 90's) - who still has an nasty looking site from back then :)

I know I do - please hold the applause for

http://web.archive.org/web/19981201092348/www.telematix.ie/twoway/ - frames, ugly background images, no transparency, etc

kae

ph3n0m - ACK! My eyes!!

Thankfully, I am not a designer, or I could probably top that ;-)

As a programmer, though - one of my demos was recently discussed on thedailywtf.com (the daily "what the ****??") [1].

to be honest, it's not a bad demo, but there are easier solutions for most cases the demo might be used for.

[0] klog» Blog Archive » Rounded borders for IE, Konqueror and Firefox
[1] The Daily WTF - "I think I'll use AJAX and PHP and generated images as a background to fake support for a CSS3 element"

davidbehan

MediaOne | We provide the complete internet solution

Not because it's that bad just because I'm embarrassed to have worked there/on the site.
We've got more in common than you think... I used to work there too! :D When did you work there?

I just took a trip down memory lane to the first websites I put live on the net. A lot of the images are broken so it's hard to find one to "showcase" here! This is the earliest I could find that has all the images on it. It was for my student union in dundalk from around 2002. There are others earlier than that but all the images are broken so can't really show them. :D

DKITSU.com

Rgds,

Dave

TheMenace

We've got more in common than you think... I used to work there too! :D When did you work there?

Suffice to say it wasn't long enough ago. Last time I brought them up on a web forum I got myself banned for making "unsubstantiated claims" so I'll leave it for the time being.

My blog's going live next week; I'll have plenty of substantiated claims to make then. :D

Redfly

Been going through archive.org and I really cannot do it. I would hate for the world to know what my first ever attempts were.

Uggggg.

TheMenace, looking forward to your blog. Do you work for a company now or freelance?

TheMenace

TheMenace, looking forward to your blog. Do you work for a company now or freelance?

I'm doing a little bit of freelance still but I'm mainly sucking the corporate wiener during the day. I've left the small web agency sphere behind once and for all. Too much stress, too much poor management, crap salaries and some pretty vicious personalities that have left me bitter as a box of lemons. Still, I'm looking forward to meeting some web 'companies' that come through the doors for pitches to exact my revenge. ;) No, not really.

gary.b

heh - 50Megs still didn't delete my Frontpage-made site of 56k doom (urgh.. even the TEXT is an image!)

http://deconstruction.i8.com

I took the graphics from the game (Half-Life) and when it was useful 6 or 7 years ago, there were less ads..

phil

This reminded me of what I found a few weeks ago. Mid-teens "let's make some money on the internet" fad. It wasn't my first website, which was a geocities one which I'd love to get hold of (but I think has disappeared) but it was long enough ago (approx. 1997 or 98 I think)

Very "minimalist" *ahem* :)

WebJex, Premium Web Solutions

What was funny was that my hometown newspaper ran a story about the "company" Webjex based in Longford doing websites in about 2002 ... about 4 years after I had touched it... Should really have saved that article.

I have no idea how it's still hosted by Eircom, I no longer do any business with them whatsoever :)

Phil.

davidbehan

haha... found it... my first site i ever uploaded to the net. It was a college project and needless to say I got 100%!!!! :D It was built in FrontPage and I remember the nightmare I had trying to get it uploaded to the eircom servers. If you look at it in IE, it'll play sounds and I thought the cars driving in on the "teams and drivers" page was soooooooooo cool at the time. FF doesn't show these two so use IE for it! :D

Home

Thanks phil... you jogged my memory on where that site was.

Dave

kae

alright - just dug this out from one of my archives.

it's a webpage I did for my then-girlfriend. she's now my wife, so I suppose the site didn't destroy her opinion of me (actually, it probably confirmed it!)

Bronwyn's Pages

it's actually kinda nostalgic to look at the photos of my old pet rats (all named after diseases).

this site is only about 5 years old.

grandad

Might as well throw my hat in the ring....

My first ever bit of HTML [though I didn't know what a tag was at the time]

First site

I defy anyone to beat that :D

It then gave me a taste for HTML and evolved into

Second site

Which finally turned into

Third site

Which turned out to be a bloody successful site.

So it just goes to show - small acorns and all that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.