Status
Not open for further replies.

carrierpigeon

My client has hosting on the Zeus web server which, to my frustration, doesn't recognise Apache's mod_rewrite rules in my .htaccess file; it has its own way of doing things with a rewrite.script file

So now I've got a Textpattern site running, but I can't get the clean URLs to work at all...

The Textpattern standard .htaccess is as follows:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    #RewriteBase /relative/web/path/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^(.+) - [PT,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/favicon.ico
    RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization}  !^$
    RewriteRule .* - [E=REMOTE_USER:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
</IfModule>

But when I put all or part of this into the Zeus script converter I keep getting errors that I can't make head nor tail of..

I'm no über code monkey; the original .htaccess file doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me, I confess. But it's always worked on Apache!

Any tips, tricks or pre-made rewrite.script files would be much appreciated.

carrierpigeon

I've managed to convince the client to jump ship to an Apache based service. A full refund was offered, so that took the bad taste out of our mouths.

I'd be interested to know if many people are getting stung with this after being landed with Zeus server when they assume they'll be getting Apache..

jason

The new reg365 shared hosting platform on their new web cluster is served by Zeus as opposed to Apache. I have loads of sites on their legacy Apache servers which use htaccess rules here and there.

From my reading online a good portion of mod_rewrite functionality is not available on Zeus, but some of it is. I am not using htaccess for SEO'd URLs, but found that all the functionality I needed I was able to reproduce using the Zeus alternative (rewrite.script) to Apache's htaccess.

I have started migrating over many of my sites to the new cluster with great success, performance and availability is much improved. The only piece of functionality I miss is CRON jobs. Yes I would prefer to have Apache, but it is my understanding that Zeus is much more resource efficient (requires less memory and can serve more sites per running instance).

I think the fact that Reg365 have moved to Zeus is going to cause a lot of crap for hosted projects that rely on Apache centric services. Many of us have been told that customers on the legacy Apache hosts can migrate manually to the new Zeus cluster or have it automatically happen in the coming months, either way it's learn the new way or go somewhere else.

Interesting times ahead ;)

Fintan

I've just got stung my this. I've spent two days trying to get seo friendly features working in an affiliate package im adding onto a new store im building.

Giving up on that I spent a day trying to get some plugins working on the same store. All the issues are mod_rewrite based. On the off-chance I dropped a mail to register365 to confirm that it was enabled and voila, Im on a zeus platform.

I'm just waiting to see what's involved in getting everything shifted to an apache server. I'm assuming the old h365 platform is still on apache?

3 bloody days I've wasted grrrrrrr

Fintan

Well seems i have no choice in the matter, even the legacy stuff h365 hosted sites will be migrated to the zeus platform.

I'm know officially in the market for a new hosting company with 100+ domains, 20+ sites all looking for a new home :)

php.allstar

I had the exact same problem with register 365 and moved to a virtual dedicated server with letshost.ie and all my sites lived happliy ever after!

I think Blacknight and many others still offer apache on shared environments. There's lots of value out there at the moment. Should be pretty easy to find one that suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.