New Forum Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
A while back I mentioned a strong desire to nuke users with low post counts posting "nice" / "hi" / "cool" or other such spammy comments to increase their post counts in order to get signatures.

Michele just gave me access to the forum Rules settings and I've added in one of my own

One / two word type posts via new members or those with low post count will be considered spammy.

The rest of the rules I think are for the most part pretty obvious to anyone with the least bit of common sense.

1. All posts must be written in English.
  2. Respect other members.
  3. One / two word type posts via new members or those with low post count will be considered spammy.
  4. DO NOT drag up old threads unless you absolutely have to.
  5. NO trolling.
  6. Advertising posts should be put in the "marketplace" - advertising posted elsewhere will be considered spam
  7. NO hosting adverts

I'm personally going to be coming down heavy on any new users posting one word posts and resurrecting old posts without actually contributing to the old post in a useful way.

I may just insta ban people I consider to be too spammy. Its too much effort to warn and infract these people (I'll have a quick check of contributions they've made mind)

Ultimately the one word posts devalue the board .. they generally tend to resurrect old posts and as I'm subscribed via email to all posts instantly it causes me a headache.

From long established users its more than acceptable and you'll hopefully agree as someone would generally post Ha Ha class in response to something .. or they would welcome a new user who has posted their introduction. Hopefully this is all pretty much common sense.

You're welcome to post feedback to my thoughts here.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
James - there is a "thank you" button available on all posts which people can use if they want to show that they liked a post or to thank someone. People should use that instead of posting inane and useless posts IMHO :)

I'd agree 100% with your other comments on this.

I'm personally tired of logging on here several times a day to find useless rubbish being posted by people who just want to get a link back to their site / a signature link. It's not what I setup this site to do ..

Byron

Here Here :p

Should've said Thanks there! - stupid posts distracted me away for a while when things were busy!

garycocs

Stupid point I know but since it's an irish webmasterforum I reckon point 1 should be changed

All posts must be written in English or Irish

Saying that my Irish isn't good enough to try and write a post anyways but I thought I might just throw in my two cents :D

Is maith liom uachtar reoite

Gearoid

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Stupid point I know but since it's an irish webmasterforum I reckon point 1 should be changed

All posts must be written in English or Irish

Hmmm I had thought of that already to be honest and given my username is growth / development in irish I should be more pro irish.

However .. this is an international webmaster forum (yes it says irish up there but...) with people from all over.

Irish unfortunately is a minority language in fluency whatever our stats are terrible as a nation.
I would therefore be against it ... it might end up picking up a few posts but given no one has ever posted in Irish here ? At least not that I've seen I don't think it'll do great things for the site.

English is generally recognised as the language of choice on International matters so I'd be staying with that of course its open to debate from other users

At the least Irish posts must be accompanied by english translations
James

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well the key thing is that we don't want people posting in some random language - ok Irish or English then :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone has any other suggestions for changes / additions etc, to the rules please let us know ..

You'll also notice that a lot of you will be asked to "accept" the new rules before you can post again (if you haven't already) - at least this way you can't say that you weren't warned :)

Status
Not open for further replies.