Status
Not open for further replies.

Interleado

Call it what you like, but getting more people to buy from you, contact you, subscribe to your website, phone/email you - this is the goal of SEO.

But what exactly is SEO? Many business owners see it shrouded in mystery and painfully difficult to get a really clear understanding of what it involves. Is it real or just a gimmick? Are there real, tangible gains to be realised from spending money on SEO? This question is probably the most important - what bang do I get for my buck and what is reasonable to pay for this type service?

To understand SEO and why it might be important, an appreciation of how search engines work may be benefical.

How does a search engine determine what website comes 1st, 2nd 3rd..etc on their Search Engine Results Page’s? Have you ever really thought about this? Ever questioned the accuracy of the results? Think your website should in position 1 and not position 21?

Search engines use a number of different factors when determining how relevant a website is for a particular keyword. When they are determining this relevancy they take into account three main areas:

• Website Architecture
  • Website Content
  • Website Popularity
Let’s take each area in isolation.

1. Website Architecture
    When analysed against the W3C standards, does a website implement good clean code and more importantly is it easy for a search engine’s spider to crawl a website? What about navigation on the website? Are relevant pages easy to find or are they buried beneath a complicated hierarchy..e.g. mycompany.com
  2. Website Content
    Simple this one. Does a website have the searched for keyword on a given page? This is simplistic but it’s the foundation of all Information Retrieval IR search systems. There are a number of additional factors that are looked at here, but keywords, visible on a page is the starting point.
  3. How many and what type of websites link to yours and (more importantly) what keywords do they use to link to you? Unlike the first two areas, this is very difficult to control and it’s why SEO can be so difficult.
Let’s get down to specifics. You have a website that has 250 pages. You have a set of keywords; let’s say 50, that you want to rank well for. Your target country is the UK. You have not implemented any Search Engine Optimisation before (at least not deliberately).

Where do you start and what would it cost?

Let’s go with the premise that you are going to pick 25 pages and use them to target your top 50 keywords. Here’s the step by step approach (you may take) to optimising your website:

1. Initial analysis of your existing website to find out what are the chief areas of concern

2. keyword research and analysis to define top 50 keywords

3. Analysis of competitors for chosen 50 keywords

4. Analysis of traditional competitors

5. Research current visibility for chosen keywords - what is the base line?

6. Backlink Analysis - What keywords are people using to describe your website?

7. Backlink Analysis - Where are you getting links (links - not traffic) from - what countries, what domains?

We are now ready to start making changes on the website - we have all the research complete, know what the base line is and what the campaign goals are.

8. Clean up code if required, i.e. clean html, CSS, broken links, navigation

9. Get human readable urls that match chosen keywords (ensure 301 redirects are implemented when changes made to page names)

10. Setup appropriate robots.txt tile

11. Write Meta data for 50 keywords - title tag, description tag, keywords tag, image tags - let’s say we target 25 pages for the 50 keywords, 2 keywords per page

12. Generate or optimise existing sitemap, plus develop xml sitemap and upload to Google Webmasters. Setup the geo targetting option in Google webmasters.

13. Optimise or generate new content for 25 pages, e.g heading tags, bolded text, paragraphs, appropriate bullets, correct font colours and background, i.e. black against white (accessibility concerns), calls to action..etc

14. Implement internal and external links that align with keywords

15. Setup a customised 404 error page

16. Append a blog to the website, Wordpress, Typepad, Drupal..etc
At this stage we have covered a lot of the ‘on page’ SEO stuff, i.e. the areas we can control. Next is the difficult part, ‘off page’ optimisation…

17. From my existing links, see are there any that can be leveraged, i.e. one’s where I can easily change the link text to better reflect one of my chosen keywords

18. From the competitor analysis above, start looking at the links my keyword and traditional competitors have. Pick a bunch every week and start emailing them to ask for links.

19. Start writing appropriate blog posts relevant to my industry and keyword rich. Good blog posts act as a magnet for new links.

20. For more advanced link/brand awareness building I’d start to look at online press releases and

21. Social media optimisation techniques.

So, how much would you expect to pay for this work? £100 per month? £500 per month , £1000 per month?

Ultimately the price paid should be based on the expected ROI from the campaign. As a website owner I’d be looking at the expected return in terms of traffic and ultimately new customers from the website.

This is a fairly good look at website marketing, but some of what you mentioned falls outside the realm of SEO. A good example is a custom 404 page. Good idea but nothing that generally is considered SEO.

However, if you included a paragraph or two of content you might be able to optimize it for a niche market and generate some traffic that way!

Interleado

I think it depends on how you define SEO. the 404 would be more for the "human" side of it regarding the customised part, but then also redirecting the not working page to another page with some sort of content will make the SE happy too.

marksbsteam

Hello

Hi,

It is a pretty good post of basic SEO checklist... most of the major SEO optimization is covered... Expect Internet marketing ... :):):)

gav240z

I agree to disagree :).

I agree with most points, however appending a blog to an existing website is a bit of a joke in my opinion.

I've seen this done so many times and to be quite frank, its a maintenance nightmare and just a shortcut.

If you are going to install Typo3 / Wordpress / Drupal etc.. That should be all you need to create a website. Especially with Drupal, you may want to create a template for Drupal based on the existing website design, but there is not need to "stick" Drupal on like its a spare wheel.

in fact installing Drupal would check off half your list above, including a nice 404 page.

You also forgot one of the most important things when it comes to SEO and Online Marketing. Web Analytics!

Web Analytics - when configured properly will show you what is and what is not working - provided you set appropriate goal / configure e-commerce.

In my opinion backlink analysis is a waste of expensive time. That same time could be better invested improving site design and driving more traffic to a website through other means such as PPC / Banner advertising.

I would however like to hear more about social media optimisation techniques?

njpr

You shouldn't need to put anything in your robots.txt - the default is to crawl the entire site (if the links are right)

Hafsoh

excuse my ignorance but what is a robot. txt file?
Robots.txt is a text (not HTML) file you put on your site to tell search robots which pages you would like them not to visit. To clarify that robots.txt is not a way from preventing search engines from crawling your site, that's why if you have really sensitive data, it is too naïve to rely on robots.txt to protect it from being indexed and displayed in search results.

Read more: Using a robots.txt file to control access to your site - Webmaster Help Center

link8r

Robot Text files are the first things I setup. With a new website, particularly in the first few weeks, the pagerank/site importance is so low that Googlebot spends only a little time indexing each site. It's like it has a queue of domains to index and a preset amount of time for each, based on things like popularity. By using a proper direction for the search engine, you reduce the amount of time required to crawl...thus more important pages are reached quicker = faster SERP

Status
Not open for further replies.