Status
Not open for further replies.

DeiseHost

Dan here from Dungarvan in Waterford. Home of The Blaa!!
Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the new year.

DeiseHost

Yeah cheers.
Also thanks for editing my signature.
I don't think this is the place for me if I am getting threatened to be banned because I placed a price in my signature for the hosting I provide. Where in the rules did it state "Do not place prices in your signature or you will be banned."
Or maybe the prices were competitive for Balacknight Solutions?
Either way, this forum seems to be a little too strict, especially when there's not a huge member base.
Maybe I will styart a new site myself where Irish Webmasters and Hosting providers can interact without feeling vulnerable.

tomed

Maybe I will styart a new site myself where Irish Webmasters and Hosting providers can interact without feeling vulnerable.

Why do you feel vulnerable?

I think mod was right to remove anything in your sig that related to prices, why didn't you just leave a link to your website instead?

DeiseHost

Why do you feel vulnerable?

I think mod was right to remove anything in your sig that related to prices, why didn't you just leave a link to your website instead?

And what difference did it make? It was just some numbers.
Plus, the Mod could have easily sent a PM saying, "I removed the prices from your sig because it's not allowed" instead of "No pricing information in signatures or I will ban you"

It's like "Im a Mod here and I can do as I please."

tomed

Well personally I feel it's right for the mod to take a strict approach to it.

The site would be full of spammers in no time if he were to allow it. And that's the last thing we need....

Welcome to the site by the way and happy new year to you! :)

DeiseHost

Well personally I feel it's right for the mod to take a strict approach to it.

The site would be full of spammers in no time if he were to allow it. And that's the last thing we need....

Welcome to the site by the way and happy new year to you! :)

Placing a price for something is not spam bud.

But anyways, doesn't really make a doifference if the guy wants to be on a power trip.

Happy New year to you too. Hope it's a good one. :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry if you feel offended, but if the moderators and myself don't take a hardline the place would be full of spammy crap very quickly

If you want to advertise your services there are also two boards at the bottom of the page that are designed for that purpose.

DeiseHost

In fairness now... it is - do you see anyone else doing it?

Will I put up a price list on my sig ?

Well, I will let you define what Spam is then, shall I?
Plus, is this site not for "Marketing"? which is what my sig was doing. Marketing.
But as said earlier, maybe my prices were a little competitive for BlackNight.

DeiseHost

I'm sorry if you feel offended, but if the moderators and myself don't take a hardline the place would be full of spammy crap very quickly

If you want to advertise your services there are also two boards at the bottom of the page that are designed for that purpose.

I was offended by the way the moderation was carried out.
Like, posting an open message in my sig "threatening" to ban me because I had a price in my sig. When the most polite way of doing it, and the most logic way, would be to just remove it and send me a PM. That simple.
I have been involved in the web hosting industry for going on 5 years and have also moderated forums with up to 12,000 + members and we never treated them like that.

tomed

Well, I will let you define what Spam is then, shall I?

No the mods can decide that

Plus, is this site not for "Marketing"? which is what my sig was doing. Marketing.

Well no the site is called "Irish Webmaster Forum" - don't see how that relates to anything.

I don't think most people that come here either are actually here to pimp their services as realistically, we are really in much the same business.

But as said earlier, maybe my prices were a little competitive for BlackNight.

I honestly don't think so

DeiseHost

Did you see the "Discussion" piece? no?

Well, I must have since I included it in my post. :/

Marketing means Marketing, no matter how you look at it.
And my placing a price in a sig is far from "Spam". Maybe you guys should google the definition of Spam before you accuse someone of spamming? Just a suggestion.

tomed

Well, I must have since I included it in my post. :/

Marketing means Marketing, no matter how you look at it.

Ok well when I see the word "Discussion" we're here to discuss something. So "marketing discussion" doesn't mean "come over here and pimp yer services please".

And my placing a price in a sig is far from "Spam". Maybe you guys should google the definition of Spam before you accuse someone of spamming? Just a suggestion.

There are many different interpretations of the word "spam".
So to take your advice - googling the definition of spam gives you this:

Spam
n : (trademark) a tinned luncheon meat made largely from pork

So you can take that whatever way you like.

My interpretation of what you did is spam.

DeiseHost

Ok well when I see the word "Discussion" we're here to discuss something. So "marketing discussion" doesn't mean "come over here and pimp yer services please".

There are many different interpretations of the word "spam".
So to take your advice - googling the definition of spam gives you this:

Spam
n : (trademark) a tinned luncheon meat made largely from pork

So you can take that whatever way you like.

My interpretation of what you did is spam.

Right. So now us Irish people can create our own definitions of a word and use it. We must be getting really upmarket for such a small island.

louie

I think the message has been understood.
I am going to close this tread before it gets any "better".
We would like to keep a proffesional level here from all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.