Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

Ninja
I'd say it was a pathetic attempt at link bait, but maybe that is being to generous to the guy.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Was thinking along the same lines. Would also think that it worked he's got us talking about him ... so mission accomplished :) Just don't link to him

Forbairt

Had been going to write a blog post about it earlier on and went no people will just look him up :D

I mean personally I'm in this for a bit of fun and to try things out. Its a great testing ground for things I might not try on customers sites :) If you end up winning as a result so be it.

Its not a heavily saturated keyword so its not that amazing to rank for it.

I've not spent anything on it yet either and my real task drop project is coming along nicely :)

Edit: I might add if he can't spend 6 quid on a domain then obviously business is not that good.
(2 or 3 quid for various other domains)

Forbairt

No probs... Thinking cap off for the day now ;)

Thanks ... and its nothing to do with him beating my site or anything like that. Its more to do with every link helps him and sorry if he's going to call people taking part the Saddest so and so in ireland ... why give him the link :)

I'm finding it fun and learning ...its nice to be able to play on a level playing field for once and not again a saturated market term.

link8r

I think everyone who had a Geansai Gorm website or page or sub-domain by the 6th of November are up on the first 3 pages. Even YouTube and other pages added since are lower than ReturdStudios' page.

You got to get in early I guess!

Also, his domain wasn't registered early.

Forbairt

he's been around for a while .. my problem is with his comments and getting links from this to his site from god knows how many blogs

reverbstudios

Thanx for talking about me guys!

For the record, I'm not part of the Geansai Gorm Game as my blog post is on an established site not a new domain as stated in the rules.

I thought I'd write about it anyway just to see where my post would come up in the engines compared to other sites. Didn't think it would be number 2 so I'm a bit embarassed but its turned out to be good exposure! I would love to be that clever to have planned it all out that way..

The 'saddest internet marketer' reference is tongue in cheek/comedy and not meant to undermine anyone taking part.

I use Wordpress for all sites I build, the work and money (495 euros incl domain and hosting!) I charge is not for re-selling free software, it's for customising templates and showing people how to use the system. I also sell templates from my site.

Good luck to all competitors!

Cormac

Dia ghuibh a chairde! Is míse Cormac O'Maoilain, cuir mé mó suíomh Geansaí Gorm beo aréir ar an Idirlinn. Tá suíl agam go mbeidh an bua agam san chomórtas seo...., b'fhéidir ar aon nois.

smemon

Half way through now and i've noticed the results are starting to stabilize a bit.

.ie and .com results are pretty similar now and it's interesting to note yahoo & msn results too - they all vary greatly.

Interestingly, cormac's site is ranked 14th in google.com and 16th in google.ie at the minute :cool:

Google.ie is as bad with the irish language as we are :D

Cormac

I'm moving up organically after doing nada since the first 48 hours of the competition. Think I'm 8th or 10th or something... 9? :)

What's interesting is that Google as Gaeilge has me number 1 for the fada term. Strange that the Gaeilge results are waaay different to the 'normal' results. Doesn't make much logical sense to show different results in different languages in my opinion.

Granted the google.ie and google.com results should be different, but having google.ie and google.ie as Gaeilge different...??? Nah. Weird.

link8r

Where was your site 2 days after the competition?

You moved into 8th place nicely yesterday! I was impressed and sick (at my own site) at the same time!

Nice Job. I wish I knew Irish so I could appreciate it more. Will get herself to help me translate it.

Would you consider an English translation for Irish people who were raised abroad?

Cormac

Where was your site 2 days after the competition?

Woops. Meant to say "of my entry going live" instead of "of the competition". I only entered because no other site took the Irish approach and I wanted to see if an Irish entry could beat English sites when competing for a language specific keyword (albeit an obscure one). That's why my site has the fada on the i btw.

Would you consider an English translation for Irish people who were raised abroad?
Don't have the time for that I'm afraid. I will put together a post in the coming weeks with some Irish terms for common website terminology in Irish (if I have the time and if it seems worthwhile).

Status
Not open for further replies.