Batch Geocoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywozhere

Has anyone got suggestions for a good batch geocoder? I tried batch geocoding a while ago but found that the results were all over the shop and have been adding co-ordinates manually on my maps section ever since. I thought I might revisit the possibility of batch geocoding again though as it would make life a lot easier.

louie

Have you got many listings that needs to be done?
Google might throw you out if you hit it to often?

andywozhere

Have you got many listings that needs to be done?
Google might throw you out if you hit it to often?

Potentially loads. I didn't realise Google might do that? :( Do you mean that they might throw me out if I did a too much geocoding in the one session or if I had too many markers in general? Actually what do you mean exactly by "throw me out"?

... sorry for all the questions

louie

too much geocoding in the one session

If you make too many queries, too often to Google SE, you are going to get a nice message page saying - "Too many queries...." etc...

After you do the geocoding for an address, do you store the data in your DB?
If not, than you should.

andywozhere

Thanks Louie. Yes, I do store them on a database. It sounds like I should be OK if I keep queries to a moderate level then and do it bit by bit? I'd probably do it that way anyway in order to check addresses etc were accurate. I was hoping there might be an geocoder tool online, but so far I've found them a bit inaccurate. I think I'll have to do a bit more research into the Google Maps API geocoding service.

garycocs

There are a few better ones than google, I did a bit of research into this wan for the pubs a while ago, started a thread on boardsies but for the life of me can't find it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.