Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoran

Hey,
I'm looking around for good places to get business cards.
Cost isn't the main concern considering the relatively small amount I want.
I got Robin Blandford's card at Barcamp and I really liked the high-quality satin finish and photo quality. (He used Moo cards)

Can anyone recommend a place that does good quality double-sided business cards? Buying from a small place with a good product would be a bonus.

Cheers,
David

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Any cards we've got have all been done by designer + printer i.e. designer did the design and then sent it to a printer...

babyboy808

Hey,
Cost isn't the main concern considering the relatively small amount I want.

This might be more of an issue than you may think. For a small run of cards (say 250) it will cost you about e120 - e170 + vat for some "premuim" cards.

And only a bit more for a 500 or a 1,000 card run (an extra 20 - 50 euro). The printer I used said the initial start run is the most expensive part... Although I did use snap printing :)

louie

you are actually right there. That's the way it works, because of the plates that needs to be made.

daviddoran

Thanks guys, I'll have a look around - having good quality ones, even having to pay for them would still be worthwhile.

@Louie: Do I have to contact Westside for a quote or do they have any prices online?

davidbehan

have you tried PRINTING.IE - IRISH ONLINE PRINTING SOLUTIONS - I used them for banner stands before and was impressed with their service. Don't know about their business card printing service but the prices look ok. They have a 10 day lead time on the cards so what they are most likely doing is loading up 50 business cards on to one plate and running them all off together. Although, they do say full colour on both sides so that could mean it's on a digital run. They also do the design as well (if you want) but you would be probably better off getting a graphic designer to do that part and have him send the files to the printer. Oh, you can get a sample pack from them to see what the previous print jobs look/feel like if I remember correctly.

Here's the questions you need to ask a printing company (which all determine the price):

- Ask for a price of 250, 500, 1000 (they might only start at 500. you'll notice the high price is in the first 500 but to double it, it's usually only a small percentage)
- What finish will be on the card, e.g. gloss, matt, etc?
- What weight will the paper be? Stay away from anything less than 300 gram. 350 gram is best. A lot of digital printers put out their stuff on 250-300 gram paper and you can notice it in the feel. 350 gram is a heavier paper and feels much better.
- is it a 2 colour, 4 colour (both litho printing) or full colour (digital printing) print run? Your graphic designer will need to know this.
- Output size dimensions.

If you have a logo and you get a graphic designer to design a business card for you... you can get it done for 50-100 yoyos. Printing of 500 cards should then cost around 100. Actually, it might be easier to find a graphic designer to do up the card and he can get it printed with his/her preferred supplier. It's like web designers and hosting in that way!!

I used to work in a graphic design and print shop so if I can be of further help, let me know.

Dave

jennyrusks

Biz Cards

Hi there,

Reads of Nassau Street in Dublin have a printshop and they charge €25.00 per 100 or €65.00 per 500. I think that's just printed on one-side.

Another place to try is www.vistaprint.ie . Ignore their free business card offers - they print their own name on the back of the card. But you can get 250 one sided cards for €19.99 on matt or €29.99 on glossy. For two sided colour they seem to add another €15.

I used them a few years ago when I was in Australia and was happy with the result.

All the best,
Jennifer

Cormac

Oh, I liked your DL brochure that I picked up yesterday.

Glad to hear George was following my instructions

Nice chap that George. Michele, your brochure was very well put together but one thing that gets my goat a bit is the use of stock photos in both print and websites. I asked George if the guy in the Comms room worked for BK or if the picture of the desk was actually taken in Carlow and he admitted they weren't. (which I knew before asking him but that's the way the conversation flowed)

On a more serious note I feel that people, especially those who know marketing and IT, know when stock photos are used. You would get a lot more kudos from people in the know if you used actual images of your office and server room. Just my €0.02

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Well the stock photography is kind of hard to avoid, as the data centres are incredibly restrictive about what you can take photos of....

Your point, however, is noted.

Cormac

Pictures of Michele sitting at his desk wearing a phone and 'nodding' his head to appear on the next brochure then... :)

RedCardinal

Type Bureau on Merrion Sq. do 500 double-sided colour on very good heavy card for 120. I was very happy. Not to mention a kind soul dickied up the design for me :)

daviddoran

@David Behan: Cheers, all good points to consider.
@Jenny: I'll look into Reads, there's something shifty about the look of VistaPrint's website but I'll have think.

@Richard: Thanks, I'll look up Type Bureau. Oh, and if only I could afford the beauty that is SpoiltChild design!

frankp

printing.ie

I would have to vouch for PRINTING.IE - IRISH ONLINE PRINTING SOLUTIONS also - I have got a couple of jobs done with them and found their prices competitive, their quality good and extremely good customer service. Plus their website is navigable, intelligible and gives clear pricing.

I got some business cards done with them and was very happy with them.

For the money, probably the best I've seen - I've had small runs of cards done for similar prices with other companies and was not happy.

For a small amount of cards, this is who I would go with.

frankp

weird you'd think I'd know how to put a link in... but it keeps reverting to the page title, thus the 'shouting'!

Status
Not open for further replies.