Cube PC/Server Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin

Just wondering if anyone is using a Cube PC or the like?

I'm looking to build extremely small servers that can be easily transported across the country.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I know one crowd were using a mac mini before :D

Guess it really would depend on the spec you require ?

Raid ? ... Tapebackup ? DVD ?

How many ports ... extra ethernet ?

Of course I was assuming you meant a web server here

Though thinking about it now you probably meant file server ?

Gavin

Forbairt said:
I know one crowd were using a mac mini before :D

You couldnt pay me to use a Mac. I like getting the hands durdy with good old MS.

Forbairt said:
Guess it really would depend on the spec you require ?

Nothing special. The O/S is going to be stripped of everything so processing power isnt essential. The hard drive would need to be expandable to approx 1TB with all other specs being basic. I have a normal desktop doing the trick at the moment but the size of the box is not ideal.

Forbairt said:
Though thinking about it now you probably meant file server ?

Near enough. Its main purpose is pass information from one location to another.

blacknight said:
mini-itx works well

Great. I've just been poking around their site and I can see a few things that might be useful.

Forbairt

Hmm... this actually sounds like an idea application of a bare minimum XP pro install on a USB key coupled with an External hard drive ... you just need to have the free VMware server running on whatever machine you go to and you've basically got the server up and running ... ?

(just an alternative idea which would minimize on space usage)

Forbairt

I really wouldn't be too happy moving around 3.5 inch disks too much either ... I've had a few (granted put into enclosures by me) go belly up in the past ...
The Heads on them can be strange and lock up ... but if you've got raid going .. go for it (though in those enclosures I'm not sure how many drives you can dump in?)

I'd really look into 2.5inch drives .. (see another thread on the board about best bets) ... they are up to 320gb or so ... at reasonable prices at the moment

Mac OSX .... you'll get there :p

Gavin

Dave those shuttle's are ideal for what I would be looking at, especially for transporting. Think I'll go for this design.

Forbairt I'd be buying more than one of them but cheers for pointing out the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.