Customers biz name.ie already registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

effect

Hi Guys, migrant from boards & ci, would like some insight on this please!

I have a customer that trades as a particular name, and has done for years (now i'm not 100% if they have trademarked that name or not, i'm guessing not). The .ie of the same name as their business is registered to a company who has nothing to do with the name itself, same industry, but a totally different name. Also, the website appears vacant. Is there anything they can do, or because they are only trading as, have they as little right to use the domain as anyone else?

all input appreciated, thanks.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Your client *may* have common law trademark on the name / term through usage. I used this to block competitors bidding on certain keyphrases on Google :)

How do you know that the other company does not have a legitimate claim to the domain?

In order for them to have registered the IE domain they would have to have satisfied the IEDR that they were entitled to the domain, so there must be some connection even if you are not aware of it.

effect

thanks for the reply, i don't know if they have a legitimate claim or not, all I know is my client are the only ones in the phonebook & goldenpages with this name, and have been using it for well over 10 years, possibly more. Should they contact the IEDR for further info?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to email me the details I can have a look at it for you quickly. The IEDR won't be able to give you / your client much information. They'll probably point you at their dispute resolution policy

Status
Not open for further replies.