Display Domain vs Destination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I read somewhere that Adwords were changing their policy about the display URLs for ads and that they had to be the destination URL (or something along those lines)

So two things:

1. Is that the case? If not, what is the case exactly
  2. If you see an advertiser breaking the rules what can you do?

Thanks

Redfly

I read somewhere that Adwords were changing their policy about the display URLs for ads and that they had to be the destination URL (or something along those lines)

So two things:

1. Is that the case? If not, what is the case exactly
  2. If you see an advertiser breaking the rules what can you do?

Thanks

1) That is indeed the case. They are supposed to match. Google (and our reps) made a huge deal about compliance but it seems they had no automated solution to detect this. They are still using manual review to enforce this. This of course is a crock as the reviewers seem to be monkeys. Thousands of advertisers are still getting away with it.

2) Report them. But it probably wont do much good.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Thousands of advertisers are still getting away with it.

2) Report them. But it probably wont do much good.

So what's the point in having a "report" function ?

I've reported several advertisers for obviously breaching the Adwords TOS, but I've never seen them take any action

I've also seen them block some of our adverts due to the reviewers being incapable of spelling!

louie

Mine got always detected and disapproved after few hours - a day the longest, so I will say 10% might get away with it for a longer period of time, but in the end.....

Redfly

So what's the point in having a "report" function ?

I've reported several advertisers for obviously breaching the Adwords TOS, but I've never seen them take any action

I've also seen them block some of our adverts due to the reviewers being incapable of spelling!

I've seen them take action by disapproving the ads and the advertiser simply resubmits them immediately. What a lot of advertisers are doing now too is registering CCTLDs and running those in parallel to get around this. TECHNICALLY they are not breaking any rules.

The monkeys inability to spell, especially when it comes to UK/Ireland spelling variations can indeed be a pain in the ass but can also be quite rewarding. For example, "Cheap Ryanalr Flights" ;)

Something we're gonna have to live with for quite a while I guess.

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
I didn't think they were that strict on it and idea was more to stop the display being domain.com/product and the destination being affsite.com/product. I thought you could still do things like have the display as domain.com/product and the destination as domain.com/?id=product or even have the destination as trackingsite.com/product so long as you landed on domain.com/product

Status
Not open for further replies.