DNA and my NADs

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo

I'm having a bit of a problem with me nads and dns type stuff, it's all over my head to be honest.

Thanks to Sidane I found dyndns.org ... signed up and currently have enzo.dnsalias.org pointing to my pc, thought it was working ok but apparently it is not.

Did a bit of checking and the problem would appear to be my router (hense the nads joke,geddit? nevermind!). Anyway I found a solution suggesed on the dyndns site ... something to do with loopbacks etc. I edited my hosts file and added the following:

192.168.1.1 router.dnsalias.org
192.168.1.2 enzo.dnsalias.org #my url

It works for me but no one else can connect. I use Dyndns updater to update my IP so that shouldn't be the problem. Any ideas cos i'm a bit lost? Could it be my firewall (zonealarm?) or something else?

Edit: just ****ed around with my firewall, can somecheck if they can connect? http://enzo.dnsalias.org/

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Your hosts file will only affect what you see and the two IPs you provide are only viewable from your internal network

What I see is:

enzo.dnsalias.org has address 84.203.44.90

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
First of all you'll need to do port-forwarding on your router/ firewall so that port 80 is exposed

Once you've done that it'll probably be very simple :)

enzo

Yeah i've been searching the router manufacturers site to find documentation on that but haven't found anything yet. Frustrating.

enzo

Currently ... a sledgehammer. I'm making progress.

Another question for you ... a normal DNS server ip on windows would be 192.169.1.1 ... what would be an alternate IP do you know? (i'm creating a static ip)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand what you mean

The DNS IP is probably set via DHCP, so it would default to that of your router, which would pull the "real" dns from your ISP

enzo

I was trying to set up a static ip on win xp, it requires a dns server and an alternate dns server but using ipconfig in the command prompt only gives me 1 ip.
It appears the problem is my router anyway, i'll have to keep researching setting port forwarding for this type of router. :(

enzo

can you not access your routers control panel across your lan?

Yeah, i fiddled with the router for about 2 hours yesterday with no luck. My ISP have documentation on port forwarding for this router (as do portforward.com) however the control panel on my router seems to be different and I don't have the required "Advanced NAT Configuration" options.
I'll have to get in touch with my ISP's tech support.

Status
Not open for further replies.