Drawing Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Does anyone on here use a drawing tablet for graphic design work?

I had a rummage this evening around Wacom's site to check out their products (and their annoying website) and in the end I bought a Graphire 3 Wacom Tablet for $60 from ebay.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
How much do they retail for "normally"?

Cormac

They range between €80 to €5,000 and upwards.
It depends a lot on the size (A5, A4, A3) and then there are the touch screen tablets which are quite funky.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
I think the graphire 3 would be around the 200€ mark ? though I could be wrong

Forbairt

I had asked over on boards as to how good the Aldi brand tablets would be.

Didn't seem to be too good for the Aldi brand but Wacom is getting good reviews nearly all round apart from those that choose the small versions and don't get used to it.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Wacom is the name I've always associated with graphics tablets, though I've never actually used one.

When I was in UCC there were a few knocking about, but I never had a chance to try them out

Forbairt

I ended up buying a ... hmmm not sure what brand a few years ago .. and it was bad .... I should have gone with Wacom ... but then I didn't make the full use out of it and didn't have net access at the time. Maybe I would have done more if I'd known some more ... this was back around 2000

jennyrusks

Howerya

Yes, I use one and I absolutely love it. It's a Wacom, but I can't remember which one (I'm looking at it now and I can't see a name on it either apart from Wacom). It's the A4 size. I had another one before this which was A5 and it was a bit crap to be honest but the bigger one is great. I'll treat myself to this one when I make it big.

They take a little bit of getting used to initially but it does become second nature and they are brilliant for programs like painter and of course photoshop.

Jennifer

Joseph Grogan

Agreed

I have the Wacom A5 one. And it does me. An A4 would be to big unless i was doing massive posters and stuff which i am not so the a5 is grand.....

Think I paid bout 150 or 200 for it this time last year. Not sure though.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but does the tablet replace the mouse or is it a supplementary input device?

Status
Not open for further replies.